and the year of hunting firsts continues...

tahunua001

... with my first elk. it's been a great year.
100_1556_zpsc9b41a32.jpg

it's a vanguard in 300 weatherby mag. since weatherby loads make my ladyparts hurt I download it to win mag velocities. I shot it twice in the head. first shot was at about 100 yards and the second was about 50. first shot dropped her and the second was just to make sure she stayed down... I've had one too many animals jump up on me and run off so I've started making it a habit to double tap.

I'm starting to think that the weatherby mag may be a little overkill. one shot entered just under the ear and was a through and through. the second shot was between the eyes and went all the way down the neck before exiting through the front shoulder... about 2 feet of hard bone and muscle penetration... a little more than what should be necessary. I may just hunt with my 06 from now on...

Congratulations on the elk. Glad you didn't use the 9mm carbine. :)

Getting a nice bull has always been one of my hopes. You're in the right country for it.

With the head shot, you could have actually used the 9mm. A lot of people lean toward the 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win mag and in your case, the 300 weatherby for elk hunting. I might as well due to the potential for a longer distance shot. I am not good enough to consistantly make a head shot at 100 yds and I wouldn't even try it. Congrats.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the elk. Glad you didn't use the 9mm carbine.
there are limits to what level of challenge I am willing to accept :D

Getting a nice bull has always been one of my hopes. You're in the right country for it.
it would be nice but the odds of getting a bull tag in my unit are about 1 in 200 but cow tags are almost 80% so naturally I've been putting in for cow tags... horns are great but i'd rather be hunting cows than sitting around waiting to be drawn for a bull tag.

there are limits to what level of challenge I am willing to accept.

I actually lean toward the challenge side of things. Must be something engrained into me from my youth. I just don't care if I get a deer as much any more and will gladly pass up a shot with a handgun that I don't feel confident I could make. I guess the challenge part is why I like to use ultra light tackle for trout versus being able to just drag them in with 12 lb test line.

It may the fact that I skipped breakfast because the kitchen is already in Thanksgiving mode, but the cow is making me drool.

Good kill and good shooting.

(just a teeny bit jealous)

Congrats! If you decide you are sick of the Wby, the 30-06 will do just fine.

I hope to be posting a similar picute here in a few weeks.

I shot a nice 5X5 bull in the 90's and that was the worst eating animal I think I've ever had. I knew I was in trouble when skinning it as it had zero fat. Since then I've always put in for cow tags and I've not been disappointed. Horns are neat to look at and talk about but I'd rather eat well:D

Nice elk, congratulations.

I apply for cow tags as well when hunting rifle season.

Bull vs cow is a numbers game to me: cows tend to outnumber bulls, so the odds of pulling a tag are better.
Once you have a tag, the odds of finding a cow are better.
Also, they weigh less than bulls but still provide enough meat for a year.
Win, win.

The Weatherby. Does yours have the Howa action? {Looks like a nice light rifle.} Was this cow all by herself?

BTW: Smart move not putting in for a bull tag. Nice cow. My congrats Sir.

I got into a group of about 3 herds totaling 10-12 head, judging by the tracks I think there was a bull with them. every time I jumped them they would scatter into 3 groups or so and join up later. this one was with at least 1 other cow, she didn't have a calf and I only saw one or two sets of tracks that looked like calf tracks.

the weekend prior I got into a herd of about 9 which was 5 cows and 4 calfs but I kept having my glasses and scope fogging up. lucky for me I invested in some Cat Crap and didn't have that problem with this group.

mine is the pre S2 vanguard but it still says made in japan on the barrel so I'm guessing it's a howa action. I've never really paid either much attention.

cat crap is a brand of antifog lense coating...

no I forgot to get her ivory.

and because I forgot to address this last time. it's not really all that light of a rifle. it weighs a good pound more than my ruger M77 MKII in 30-06 and it has a heavier scope than the weatherby.

Back