And the handgun preferred by a top terrorist is...

TXAZ

Fox News has released US SF pictures from the Solemani strike.

If you go to the following vidoe link:
linkWhat pistol does a terrorist prefer? Go to 1:15 in this video

In the linked video there's a picture of the AK and handgun carried by General Soleimani who was the subject of a Reaper encounter.

The AK is seen in the video at 1:14
The Sig? is seen in the video at 1:15

It's not clear what caliber the gun is but you can make out the serial number if you have a good display and there may be a Sig serial number decoder somewhere on the web...

What do you think, is it a Sig and if so what model and caliber?

Followup edit: There's a strong likelihood this is an unauthorized Iranian knockoff, read below.

Last edited:
looks like a SIG SAUER P226 without a rail

2020-01-11-120122.jpg

2020-01-11-122329.jpg

Last edited:
A number of sources suggest that the Iranian military issues an unlicensed clone/copy of the P226.

So probably not exclusively about personal preference although clearly he wouldn't have to carry the issue sidearm if he wanted to carry something else.

Yeah, I'm going to go with "an unlicensed clone"- the trigger guard is longer and it may have an internal extractor, but it's hard to tell though.

Edit: See link below this is likely an indigenous knock off of a Sig P226.

Last edited:
No legible SIG markings or stamps.
Extended trigger guard.
Trigger further forward than normal 226.
No rail.
SIG serial number scheme is A###-###-AA-year - that’s not the serial number scheme on that pistol

if that gun still works Sig Sauer ought to buy it back for a million dollars because the Ad revenue from this would bring in far far more.

It looks like a Pre-rail version of the P226. The P226 without the rail had the longer trigger guard like the one in the picture. Early versions of the P226 also were stamped slides that did not have the external extractor like the newer versions. To me, it looks like an '80s model Sig Sauer P226 German made.

sigp226u211.jpg

If Soleimani actually knew how to use that Sig, I'm sure he could have delayed his permanent residence with the Devil a few more years. It's a good thing our military is far better trained than Iran's.

Back