And another thing while I'm here...

MO

These military rifles are referred to by various different names and designations (caliber, mm, abbreviations). Is there any web site, book, etc. that puts all this in plain English so that a green-horn can begin to get a handle on it all? Thanks !!

The leading authority on Mausers is probably Ludwig Olson. He has several books in print that are available on Amazon.com

I don't know of a single source that will give you what you need on all military rifles (Enfields, Springfields, Mauser, Arisaka's, etc). Its a huge field with hundreds of variations.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Best book around is W.H.B. Smith's Small Arms of the World. Besides giving a history of the firearm and an explanation of how it works, it describes how to use, field strip and reassemble virtually any military rifle up to 1995. Barnes and Noble (are they antigun anyone?) use to sell the hardcover version for $16.95

A less costly book is the NRA publication on Military Bolt Action rifles. I think it's only $5.95

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Thanks guys!! Good starting places.

------------------
“The nine most terrifying words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’”
-Ronald Reagan

Back