Analyze this no-fire for me

FirstFreedom

Sunday, ML hunting. Before afternoon hunt - going out after a turkey roost spot, I decided to test the point of impact of my rifle on a tree in camp, as well as to clear out the old load - since it had been raining all weekend, I wanted to get the freshest, dryest load possible in there. Good thing I did. I fired, and click - the 209 primer did not ignite. Re-cock, and 2nd time - it ignites & rifle fires. Reload for hunt and all is well.

But Question: Is this no-fire of the primer more likely due to:

1. Being wet

Or

2. Bad primer / Bad ML (light primer strike)

Again, it was very rainy, but I didn't think water could get inside a modern primer at all.

sorry this maynot be much help this time I would quess light hammer strick I think if the primer was fouled it would not fire the 2nd or 22nd time you hit it.

I think you're right; thanks. Now I have a problem with confidence in Winchester primers. Or maybe it's the Traditions rifle. Wish I knew which. Probably the rifle though, come to think of it. The 777 powder was fine and fired through all that rain, though, so that's a thumbs up for it. My little barrel condom I put on had torn at the end and was thus no help...worthless.

Could also be that the action is gummed up. Clean the action so the striker isn't impeded. My brother's Rem 700 cartridge gun had misfires so I disassembled his bolt and cleaned the components. No problems after that.

Sundance44s

I`d say the action was gummed up from the rain and oil mix .. careful useing too much oil on actions of guns ya hunt with ..cold weather and rain can cause slow actions . I`d change primmer brands too ..just because .

Back