Anaconda - primer problems

Kobra

Well, yesterday while shooting with a buddy, we decided to go double action on a few shots for some friendly competition. Well my Anaconda decided it would only dent the primer but not set it off. I was shooting PMC 240gr loads. If the rounds were then single actioned they would fire and the primer would be hit again in the same spot as before which was pretty much perfectly centered. If the rounds were removed and placed in my buddy's SRH it would fire in double action. It got dark so I didn't have time to break out some other loads to test them. Some rounds wouldn't even go off in single action in my gun either. His Ruger never failed.

What do you guys think? Some bad primers or is the hammer return spring wore out?

Thanks.

Primer hardness is based in part on the pressures involved. In high pressure ammo, factory primers are often harder to keep the pressure from backing up the firing pin and extruding the primer into the firing pin hole. Also, the Colt revolvers often have light hammer falls, especially when an attempt has been made (either by the factory or by a gunsmith) to do a "trigger job".

If the hammer spring is too light, it can be easily replaced. I don't know if Wolff makes springs for the Anaconda or not, but you might try them at www.gunsprings.com. You might also try www.gunpartscorp.com for factory springs.

Jim

You might also check firing pin protrusion. I have seen two unmodified Anacondas where this was below factory spec, one by nearly 0.010". The result was as you describe: single action worked fine, double action was erratic.

Wolf does offer springs for this revolver: I'd not use the lightest offered under any circumstances.

Bob

Well I am headed out of town this weekend so I can't play with the different box of ammo that I have to see if that fixes it (Winchester 240gr), but I will keep in mind the firing pin protrusion and the new hammer spring. However one fact left out is the gun is new so I really wonder how the spring would already be wore out. It can't possibly have more than 300rds thru it.

Even a new gun could have a mainspring (hammer spring) problem, as Colt "tuned" those at the factory, like the Python. The gun could also have a timing problem if the DA pull is slow and "controlled"; the hammer block might not be getting fully out of the way before hammer fall. Since it is new, I suggest return to the dealer for sending back to the factory.

Jim

Back