An old mosin gets a new lease on life

kinoons

Let's start with a pic of this fine rifle.
0f9494b3.jpg

With ammo in hand that I can chamber, finally made it to the range today. Full disclosure -- this is the first time using Diopter sights, never had to float a target in a circle, in a circle. I have no doubt my display of accuracy is no where near the abilities of this rifle.

But damn she is one smooth shooting mosin. The trigger is basically not there during the initial uptake. You feel a slight hesitation, and just an extra little squeeze trips the round loose. Best trigger I've felt on a rifle, bar none.

100yd shooting
First target, getting to know one another. Two most right shots and one 12 o'clock high shots were my friends. Rest are mine. Left most shot was called bad. Left most 5 was first string, next 5 toward center was second.
1e12361d.jpg

Ten shots that followed. Right most shot called bad.
4863a286.jpg

I need more practice, but if I get better, this one will deffinately do it's part.

No doubt Mosins can shoot...the naysayers have never owned one...
If that was with milsurp ammo.... it'll be driving tacks with a good handload.

My 91/30 sporter shoots right at MOA with SMK handloads.

I can't recall if your 28/76 takes .311 bullets, or .308.
I'm thinking that as a Finn bore it's .308- am I right?

Beautiful rifle. Always been a fan of them, just think they're a tad expensive...

My m28/76 won't chamber mil-surp or the majority of commercially produced ammo. The difference between 7.62x54r and 7.62x53r are apparent in some m28's and mine is one of them. It will chamber Norma and lapua only. Next stop is handloading. Mine slugs at .309

Those shots were with off the shelf Norma ammo.

I'm looking forward to more range time.

Back