an inexpensive gun for 7.62x39

vince weng

I am looking for an inexpensive gun (<$300) taking inexpensive ammo (7.62x39) to practice. Could anyone recommend me which one is the best. My local range doesn't like "evil look" ones such as AK-47. I targeted SKS. I am open to all your inputs.

Kind of off your subject, but my wife purchased a new SKS Two+ years ago for 99 dollars (and that was $10 high but it had "pretty wood"). Yesterday at the same gun store we saw "New" SKSs for 299 & a pre-ban SKS for 399. Talk about Klinton Inflation.

Per your question, I just got a Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 but it was not inexpensive. It has proven to be surprisingly accurate out to 100 yards. If I was you I would try to buy a SKS or bolt action 7.62x39 from an individual.

SKS. The Ruger Mini30 will run over $300 and the Colt AR in 7.62x39 close to $1k. I'm not aware of any converted surplus bolt action in that calibre. The SKS is a fun gun to shoot and I prefer the model with the fixed 10 round magazine (no mags to mess with - just stripper clips).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gotta chime in on the SKS. They're more expensive now than a few years ago, but still less than an AK-47 or Mini-30. Mine is rock-solid and a real joy to shoot. Besides, with the scope-mount receiver cover and 30-round mag, it meets Gray Davis' definition of "high-powered sniper assault gun." :)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

A SKS is the best choice given your options. However I would consider looking for a new range! I realy would hate to waste good ammo at a range that did not like the look of my gun.

Just my $.02 worth

Later
DAren

You might investigate a CZ-52 rifle that has been converted to 7.62x39 or find one in the original 7.62x45. Then you could have it converted when the 7.62x45 ammo becomes scarce.

It's semi-automatic and takes 10 round detachable magazines. It also has a integral side folding bayonet that doesn't quite stick out like a sore thumb. I believe they also are classified as C&R.

I second Daren Thompson's comment on
finding another range. I realize it
may not be practical to switch but
I don't think I would want to hang out
at a place that was concerned about a
rifle looking "evil."

[This message has been edited by Greg G (edited December 10, 1999).]

I would at least approach the range officers about the "looks" of your gun. Looks can't kill.

------------------
"Those that give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Back