An idea for post-crisis

stark

I'm not sure if this idea has been floated around yet, but I haven't seen it mentioned...

I was opening my car insurance and realized that something they always send me could be adapted for CCW...witness cards. I know a lot of people don't have business cards for their job. So maybe a little card that has your name, address, contact phone numbers, maybe an email address...you could use them to get witnesses to whatever event you are a part of, even if it doesn't involve a firearm, really.

I plan on printing a few up and sticking them in my wallet.

out of curiosity, what information would be a BAD idea to include? driver's lic #? permit #?

------------------
-stark-
http://www.23x.com/stark/guns

Hi Stark-

Years ago, these were simply known as "calling cards." They would simply have your name engraved on the front with no additional information.

Later, people began to update these cards (usually same size as business cards), and included information like addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers, e-mails, etc.

Do I think they're a good idea? Sure, if you find yourself distributing your data fairly frequently. When I graduated from college many moons ago, they worked great at Homecoming Weekend because I didn't have to write the same information over and over again when I saw my friends! Actually, I still have these cards, they can be convenient when "networking" at social engagements, political functions, etc.

What application are you suggesting? If you witness an automobile accident you would present the card to the person who was wrongfully hit? What is the application for CCW holders?

Let us know what you think.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

I think the calling card idea is a good one for those who don't have business cards. Many, many uses. Don't, however, put your drivers license# or your permit# on it. That's no one's business buy yours and is not needed to contact you.

I Wouldn't carry a "witness" card in my wallet. If I understand what you're talking about, you're thinking of a "fill in the blank" type card so you can get information from other "witnesses" (that's what I get from my insurance company, anyway).

In the event of a self-defense shooting, I'd be afraid of them being used against me in absolutely certain civil litigation that would follow. A lawyer would use the fact that you were carrying "witness cards" on your person as justification that you were "out to shoot somebody" and "looking forward to it." The same reason you shouldn't use an UZI for home defense. Just carry a blank piece of paper and a pen. Remember, you're the victim who was caught off-guard.

Hmm. The pre-meditation angle is one I hadn't considered. I suppose a sleazy lawyer could twist perparedness into "looking for trouble."

remember when the motto was to be prepared?

anyway...it seemed like a good idea. maybe it still is, I dunno. but, like using handloads for self defense, even if it's NOT a bad idea, why run the risk of having a prosecutor use it against you should you ever be involved in a situation?

a piece of paper and a pen would do just fine, and couldn't possibly arouse suspicion..

------------------
-stark-
http://www.23x.com/stark/guns

Business cards are really nice to have in this age, anyway, and I find that at the end of the day I usually have a couple that I have to transcribe data off the backs of. there's your paper. It's ALWAYS a good idea to carry a pen. All you need to do is consider what data you would want from any kind of witness. Probably just name, work, and home number, and when they can be reached is sufficient.

I've got to admit, if I were investigating a shooting, and the guy had little "witness cards" already printed up and was going around filling them out or handing them out, I'd think something was a little hinky.

Back