An Aussie Christmas

Well, it's after 9.00 p.m. Christmas Eve here already. Been a long, hot day (100F) and the same forecast for tomorrow.

I've just opened a beer while the lamb and beef are cooking on the Weber (kettle barbecue??) The beef is crusted with grain mustard in red wine; the lamb with a honey mustard and herb marinade.

The menu tomorrow will be cold beef, lamb and ham off the bone with salads. Champagne and orange juice for breakfast with fresh, iced tropical fruits and croissants. Plenty of beer during the day. Oh, and an old friend just came down from Broome and gave us a kilo (~2lbs) of pearl meat. If you've never indulged, it's a gourmet's delight. You can deep-fry it, barbecue it with honey soy sauce, or even marinate it in white wine, vinegar, pickling spices, chopped chillies and onions -- only needs a couple of hours and it's "cooked". The Japanese market pays $300 a kilo for it. Tastes like very "refined" scallop -- only better.

To all my friends on TFL -- Merry Christmas. I wish you joy and happiness and a year to come that will outshine any before. I wish for you all the things I know you would wish for others.

On this night, and tomorrow, I even wish no harm or malice to the anti-gunners. They are, for the main part, people who believe in what they espouse, no matter how misguided.

I am reminded of the stories during the First World War when, on Christmas Day, the shooting would cease by mutual agreement, and those "enemies" would sing carols and even exchange gifts.

I pray that over Christmas we, too, will hear only carols and not gunfire. (Unless you're going on a shooting trip :))

Take care folks -- I'll see you all back here after Christmas.

As we say here -- have a good'un!!

Bruce

Merry Christmas Bruce and to all our Aussie cousins.

The menu faire sounds yummy!

I'm assuming that "pearl meat" is from some sea critter? What type critter?

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

DC, yer gunna kick ya self...
Pearls (that hang around ya neck) come from ?? ;)
Pearl meat - Aint a critter, it's a Mollusc !
LOL :D - ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

DC: HS is right. It's the meat from the pearl oyster. But don't think of rock oysters -- this is a whole new ball game. Think a cross between abalone and scallop -- sliced thinly.

And, DC -- Merry Christmas, my love.

B

Ahh...oysters....gotcha. I was thinking the kilo was one solid chunk of meat, so was thinking maybe that Giant clam.

Still sounds yummy! I really shouldn't be having a growling stomach at 6:40 am LOL

Pheasant, quail and salmon tonite.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Well my friends--you will all be dining in
style.
Spare a thought for us barbarians at the gate
a humble sausage or two,some steak and onions
At least we will be drinking imported beer
(VB from Victoria).
Not only that,but we will be miles out in
the country (like it says in the movie
"Sunday'too far away")
All the best.And may all your enemies be
downwind.

Don't feel bad DC, I was thinking of an Aussie version of a Rocky Mountain Oyster myself when I read Bruces' description. Hey, sheep, Great white? Who knows? Bruce, your reports are genuinely appreciated and always a welcomed read. You have a knack for communicating what really matters regardless of what hemisphere we reside in. :) Merry Christmas Friend.

Back