An 1858 Remington with a swing out cylinder,,,

aarondhgraham

1858 Remington with a swing out cylinder,,,
It's a pair of custom built 1858's made for the new movie The Dark Tower.

Click here please.

When I saw the trailer for the movie I was saying,,,
"1858's, how cool." until I saw him do a reload.

But I just checked in imfdb.org and sure enough,,,
They are 1858's after all.

I've always said the 1858 was my favorite C&B revolver for looks,,,
Now I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Aarond

I have seen the trailers, didn't realize they were DA.

Wonder what they started out as. Or did the prop department fabricate complete revolvers? Or are they pure CGI and he is really wielding Mattel Fanner Fifties to give the camera something to focus on?

Modern, DA (or SA really) 1858 Remington style revolvers with a swing out cylinder would be kind of nice. They are big and unwieldy by today's standards so I don't see anyone carrying them. However, they do have a lot of metal, and redesigned to look the same but taking advantage of modern metallurgy and heat treating, I bet it would make a beautiful range and trail gun in .44mag or .45LC (and design it to take Ruger and long gun only loads please). I'd probably buy one.

I know nothing about the movie and wasn't really planning to watch it. To be honest, after looking at that IMFDB page I might have to check it out

Last edited:
I don't know why the prop master would go to the trouble of having guns like that mocked up but apparently he did. That movie is going to tick a lot of Dark Tower fans off. It doesn't remotely follow the story line.

That movie is going to tick a lot of Dark Tower fans off. It doesn't remotely follow the story line.
I was afraid of this, I was exited when I first heard about it. But rarely books translate well into movies.

They could have done a lot better. It's supposed to be a continuation of the story where book 8 left off but they didn't even try to follow the story line.

I don't know why the prop master would go to the trouble of having guns like that mocked up but apparently he did. That movie is going to tick a lot of Dark Tower fans off. It doesn't remotely follow the story line.

If I understand it correctly, this movie is the next cycle, implied by the ending of the final novel, where Roland is dumped back into the desert to pursue the man in black.

Keep in mind that Roland is from a parallel universe. It makes sense that guns are not the same in both universes. IIRC, when Roland picked up some ammo from our universe, there were minor differences in the cartridges but they were close enough to work. It has been way too long to remember what caliber he used.

Keep in mind that Roland is from a parallel universe. It makes sense that guns are not the same in both universes. IIRC, when Roland picked up some ammo from our universe, there were minor differences in the cartridges but they were close enough to work. It has been way too long to remember what caliber he used.
Uhhh... I'll take your word for it.

I read the books, I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the concepts and plots. They would have to change the screen play a heck of a lot to put any type or reason or sense into a movie.

That movie is going to tick a lot of Dark Tower fans off. It doesn't remotely follow the story line.

Yeah going with the most obvious difference...

Thedarktower7.jpg

Josh Brolin would have been my pick for the Gunslinger:

no-country-for-old-men-2007-movie-review-josh-brolin-llewelyn-moss-best-picture-winner.jpg

Interesting. Not only customized to have swing-out cylinders and double action triggers, but ... the cylinders swing out to opposite sides!?!?

drobs said:
Josh Brolin would have been my pick for the Gunslinger:
I guess. Clint Eastwood and Sam Elliott are too old.

Bugs Bunny said it best. "You can do anything in an animated cartoon." Applies to anything Hollywood invents too.
And Stephen King writes fiction. Not history.

It's been a long time since I read the series, but wasn't Roland missing a hand at the end after having it eaten off by a giant crab? If this is a continuation he should then be one handed.

Back