AMT Hardball question

Ignacio49

AMT Hardballer question

The stainless steel used to manufacture the AMT Hardballer - was it a soft ss? a hard ss?

What were the cons/pros of using a soft metal, or a hard metal?

Thanks

Last edited:
"...using a soft metal..." Causes premature wear and possible galling. Galling is the metal literally tearing.
No idea what SS was used by AMT, but I seem to recall them having design or QC issues. Forget exactly which.

If I recall correctly, AMT used 17-4 PH stainless for the frame and slide; they were heat-treated differently to avoid galling.

Not always successfully. AMT recommended lithium grease.

Real AutoMags were mostly 17-4PH, too. Kent Lomont was the guru and recommended exotic lubes.

Last edited:
My AMT is a good one and a definite keeper. It's an early one with A26xxx serial number , marked Covina , CA. The stainless steel seems hard , it doesn't have any peening or wearing in places that would normally show wear from soft steel .
I've had it so long I forgot when I bought it.
I find it strange I can/have found the serial numbers and dates of mfg. for every gun , including an 1868 Manhatten Arms cap and ball revolver, but can't find any info on serial numbers and dates for AMT Hardballers !
Anyone one out there know where this info can be found ? I will buy a book , not looking for free online info only... just looking for more info than what's on wikipedia , they have basic history but no serial number and dates .
Gary

My friend's Harballer is A31xxx, Irwindale CA. Any idea about its quality and/or vintage?

Last edited:
http://www.amtguns.net/

I wonder if you can find some help in the forum at the AMT fan website.
Thanks for posting that AMT link.... I'm going to do a careful search of post past and present and see what I can find . I joined the forum . I know the AMT company changed hands several times but you would think the production records would be still be out there somewhere .
Manhatten Arms records from over 150 years ago were still available....wonder who has AMT's records ?

I watched two friends struggle with Hardballers in the 1970s.
One was a machinist, he would attack anything. His had the strangest feed ramp you ever saw, but it was a FEED ramp, as the factory shape was not.

The other was an advanced amateur, a pretty good hand tool gunsmith.
His ended up with a lot of Colt internal parts, but the frame and slide wore well.
He shot it a documented 6000 rounds of what would now be termed +P and the gun showed only burnishing that smoothed the rails, no peening or battering anywhere.

I had a Skipper. Worst 1911 pattern I ever owned. With anything but 230 RN it would jam every round. I can fix such issues but when they are that bad I don't bother. I can't speak to wear as I didn't keep it around very long.

Back