AMT guns

Nightcrawler

How are AMT firearms? I've heard their 1911 clones are really poor quality, but how about the Automag family? I mean, magnum autoloaders are really something one rarely comes across, and Magnum Research has prettymuch cornered that limited market with their Desert Eagle line, which, FYI, is available in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .440 Cor-Bon, and the wet-your-pants .50 Action Express.

Anyhoo, AMT's Automag line is available in some different calibers, some of which I've never heard of, but there's two available in .22WMR, and .30 Carbine. A .30 carbine pistol. It's not something you'd want for a carry gun (It has a 6" barrel) but it'd be neat to shoot....

I have NO experience with the Automag line, but I've heard mixed reliability reviews about the .30 Carbine.

I DO have experience with the AMT Backups. They were the PERFECT weapon the THROW at the BG, because the WEIGHT of the JAMMED, MALFUNCTIONED chunk of STEEL would put them in a COMA for WEEKS!!! :D

Customer service was downright RUDE, and reliability was a COMPLETE bomb!!!

I agree that owning a big dog caliber semi is a DREAM, but I'd keep looking. Check CDNN... they sometimes offer the OLDER model (XII??) Desert Eagles for a pretty darned good price!

If it's the caliber, and not the Semi, we bought my Father a Ruger (Redhawk?) single action revolver in .30 Carbine to match his Postal Meter carbine... WOW!!! THAT's worth owning!

AMT guns have not had a good reputation in years past, but just recently they have been acquired by new owners who were supposedly going to upgrade customer service and produce better quality guns. I have no personal experience with the new company but have seen people on here who have newer AMT's and they don't seem nearly as dissatisfied as you might think ... so I'm thinking some improvements may have taken place.

As far as the Backup goes, there are some people I have talked to on here whose Backups work.

Got an Automag II in .22 Mag and it is a good gun. Never jammed and fairly accurate. I also like the stainless finish. Limited in it's uses, but still fun to shoot.

I have got a lot of comments about mine at the range, people think it's a mini hand cannon becuase of the loud report.

I'd rate it 7.5 out of 10.

-JHP

I'm with BB.

Also have a Hardballer LS and Javalina. Both constant misfeeds out of the box. Cleaning, different ammo, different mags did not matter. Only when I replaced the factory barrel with a cheapo Roto4 did the LS work but accuracy went south.

Gonna convert the Jav frame to a simgle shot .22-250 (Clerke).

test post

AMT guns are junk, please buy something else. Don't try to pinch pennies on soemthing that may save your life. If want and automag, go with the Desert Eagle series.

AMT fills some niches, such as the aforementioned Automags in .30 carbine (Automag III), which I own. So far, the Automag III is reliable, although I have put only about 75 rounds through mine. This was before cleaning it, because the previous owner did not pass on the owner's manual and disassembly is not obvious. The previous owner used lots of grease which was caked into all kinds of nooks and crannies, but the gun still functioned. If you want the niche (and I do), then go for it. If you want to attract attention at the range, go for it. Think "fireball" when shooting carbine ammo through a short barrel. But, I am used to it, since I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carb as well.

I've owned three AMTs; a Longslide (.45ACP), a Javelina (10mm), and an Automag IV (.45 Win. Mag.).

All had feeding problems. After polishing the ramp the Longslide worked fine with FMJ and JHP ammo.

The Javelina and Automag continued to jam after ramp work. I sold them.

I can't recommend AMTs.

Back