Ammunition Question for M1A & 700PSS

Nomad76

Inactive
I just got an M1A Supermatch and a 700 PSS both in .308.( thank god for tax returns) I was wondering what type of ammunition do you guys use or suggest for both rifles, military surplus and the good stuff. I plan on doing some match and longrange target shooting. I am pretty new to both of these rifles and would really appreciate any info that you guys can give me. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Damn, must be nice to drop a few grand on some toys!

A good choice would be Federal's 168grn. Match Hollow Point Boat-Tail round. You could use this for both of your weapons.

Pete's correct.

This commercial load sets the standard for .308 ammunition. In a good rifle, it will shoot .5" MOA consistently from a solid support system.

If you are into reloading, the duplicate load is:
Federal Gold Medal Brass
Federal LRP
44.5 gr. of WW 748 Ball
Sierra 168gn. BTHP Match #2200 bullet

Enjoy!

ACK

What Pete and Tackerman said: Ditto. I also am fortunate to have both of those rifles and shoot those very loads. Neither one has ever or ever will see milsurp ammo. I spect too much time breaking in the barrels and following up with moly bullets to shoot the "dirty stuff" down the pipe. My M1A was rebarrelled with a Krieger SS and has a match chamber so I always go with my reloads.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and tell us about it.

Noban

Black Hills and Federal Gold match, both in 175-grain. The 168 does not keep up at the longer ranges or buck the wind as well. We have had great results with both. (PS The people at Black Hills are great)
For those that swear by the 168 FGM for the short stuff, we have targets up at our range that demonstrate the Fed 168 Vs. 175 at 100 yards. It's 5 rounds of each. Shot consecutively, all 5 168 then all 5 175 in the same string with no break in between. The 10 round group is under 1". You cannot tell the difference between the two at 100 yards in the same hole.
At the extended distances (500 + yards) or with any significant wind you will see a huge difference. Our ranges normally get a 8-15MPH wind (today was 7-13 constant and always changing). We were testing a Nesika prototype at 1000 yards. We couldn't get the 168 FGM on target ( a 12"x18" steel Larue). The 175 hit on round #3 and stayed on target (75%) after that. Windage varied between 5-10 min (right).

For a handload try Sierra Match King 175
Either Fed or Black Hills once fired brass
Fed 210m primers
IMR 4064 44.4 grain

***Note: this is a max load and slightly compressed (watch for over pressure in your gun). We are getting 2800 FPS with a deviation of only 4fps over a 20 round test box. Group sizes are in the .2's off a bipod with rear bag and shot prone.

Back