ammunition/guns subject to heat/cold?

bubbaturbo

I live on a dead end street and all of the kids play, ride bikes, etc. while the adults watch and talk. I used to think this was safe until a pickup screeched to a halt at the entrance to the street and a guy got out and ran all the way up the street right by my 5 year old daughter. When he realized all of the yards were fenced and he couldn't get through he ran back down the street. Even though my kids were close, I never could have gotten to them before he did although I could have caught him before he got away if he had tried to grab my daughter. This got me to thinking that it might be nice to be able to get to a gun quickly while outside (even though in this incident I am not sure how it would have helped or been justified). Anyhow, I bought a new Taurus stainless steel 4" 6 shot revolver in 38 special with adjustable sights ($228.00-- pretty good value), put rubber grips on it, shot it, checked the sights and put it in a keyless gun safe bolted down in a cabinet in the garage. It stays there permanently. I guess this whole story is a long way of asking if I am going to have any trouble with the ammo (or gun) being subjected to the extremes of heat and cold in the garage. Anybody have any experience?

[This message has been edited by bubbaturbo (edited December 28, 1999).]

For your specific situation the cold shouldn't hurt (it can cause some semi-autos to be sluggish depending on the lube used) but the heat is a no-no. The gun will be OK but the ammo doesn't need to be exposed to high temperatures for long periods.

An alternative to the garage bench might be a very sturdy shelf built into the master bedroom closet or inside a master bathroom cabinet.

Mikey

A stainless revolver is a good choice. Reliable, simple, goes "bang" when you pull the trigger. Cold isn't a problem. Just lube lightly and you should be good to 20F below zero. If it's going to be colder than that get some lube spec'ed for low temps.

Heat is a problem. Over time, high temperatures will effect the ammunition, causing the chemicals in the powder and primers to degrade (though it might take years, or even decades). The solution: change the ammo at the and end of every summer. You need to practice anyway. -- Kernel

I have a gun in the house. I wanted one in the garage so I could just step back in and grab it without having to run into the house to get one. I figure the garage doesn't get any hotter than maybe 105 degrees. Is that the kind of heat you're talking about or is that within range of "normal" temperatures at which ammo should function OK? Thanks

105F is not problem. Just change out the ammo once a year. Humidity is another issue, unless you live in Arizona keep the pistol in a ziploc or air tight case.

Here's what I'd do. Buy a 50rd box of quality name brand (expensive) 38Spl+P HPs. In the garage keep 6 in the pistol and 6 in a speed loader. Store the rest of the ammo in a cool, dry place in the house.

Once a year, say in October, shoot the garage ammo. Restock with house ammo. Every 4 years buy a new 50rd box of expensive +P ammo. To keep proficient once a month take the pistol to the range an shoot (at least) 50 rds of reloads or inexpensive plain label ammo. Clean the gun real good every 150 -200 rds. -- Kernel

Two things: If you store your revolver in a plastic bag, throw in a desicant such as silica gel. Even a stainless gun may corrode in an airtight, long-term environment. Both gun and bag may "sweat" after sealing. Your revolver could also include some non-stainless internal parts, which you don't want to discover when you most need the gun. Many folks say to never store a gun in a place where it can't "breath," or barring that, keep it as moisture-proof as possible. Same with ammo. Store the extra stuff from the box in a bag with a desicant. If you have one of those "Foodsaver" vacuum packers, put your gun and ammo in those bags to really eliminate humidity, wherever you keep the components. A major advantage is that you will not have to swap out soggy desicant packs, ever. Be concerned though with how the plastic bags might react to a gun's finish, and wrap gun in cloth or a silicone rag before sealing. And keep a razor blade (guarded) taped to the bag so you can open it quickly when needed.

Regarding temperature, ammo can get squirrely in sub-zero weather. Some hunters (including me) keep their shells in pockets near their bodies to keep them warm. There are documented cases of rifle shells failing at low temps.

If you live in a really cold climate, you might consider stripping the gun of lube altogether. Even the good stuff can get gummy and weird at the right temp. Just be sure to check the gun periodically, especially in the summer; then you might go back to regular lube routines. Good luck.

From Vermont (-5F yesterday);

Some ammo is more affected by temp than others. Also some powder/primer combo's.

Great defense ammo takes this into account.

Ultra-cold guns maybe should be left "dry".

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Back