ammo

sako2

Wow I'm glad i took up reloading when i did. Just came home from an auction 35 remington factory ammo sold for $55.00 a box. It was remington core lock.:rolleyes:

I'm glad I took up reloading half a century ago, today's prices just stun me.

OF course, emotionally, I'm still back there, when primers were less than a penny, and $8 filled my car from fumes to overfull....:rolleyes:

Last time I checked I spent more money on reloading than I ever did on ammo.

Funny when ever I buy ammo I never shoot it. Just goes into the pile.. Maybe its just me

Yeah, i was at a flea market Sunday morning.
Couple of vendors had ammo for sale.
Rem CoreLokt 30-30 $70.
38 Special $60
223 Rem 55gr FMJ $60

I shook my head & kept walking!

Bought 2 Penn reels for $10 each. :D

I started reloading back in the late 1970s when back then 7.7x58mm Arisaka ammo was over a buck a round. The rifle had been passed around my family but I was the only one willing to shoot it...

Tony

Brave man! I know the 6.5 Japanese was a strong action (though I always thought junk) but don't know the rep of the 7.7 Japanese.

Any unsupported case head ammo is a serious risk. But I saw a modern Winchester rifle blow up (well I was there when it did, I did not see it blow, just the aftermath)

The story was a reload supplier to a client and they got pistol powder into a 300 WM case. Maybe someone could run the data on what kind of pressure that would be for an average hunting load?

Clearly you can push a modern action to far as well.

I started reloading back in the late 1970s when back then 7.7x58mm Arisaka ammo was over a buck a round. The rifle had been passed around my family but I was the only one willing to shoot it...

Tony
I bought a sporterized arisaka and it was rechambered for 30-06, I felt blow back in my face when I fired a round un chambered the round had 7.7 jap case fire formed into a 30-06 case.

Bought it gun store for 100.00 they probably didnt know it was rechambered for 30-06. I haven’t experimented with using .312 bullets in a 30-06 case because Im pretty sure its not a .308 barrel

But Next arisaka I buy will nake sure its chambered for 7.7x58

Last time I checked I spent more money on reloading than I ever did on ammo.

Funny when ever I buy ammo I never shoot it. Just goes into the pile.. Maybe its just me

I'm in the same boat. I started reloading shortly after I started shooting on a frequent basis. And then started casting not too long after that. I probably have more cases of factory centerfire ammo tucked away than the amount of factory ammo I've ever shot.

Reloading hasn't saved me any money. I went from shooting a couple hundred rounds per year to 5,000 or more every year.

I'm in the same boat. I started reloading shortly after I started shooting on a frequent basis. And then started casting not too long after that. I probably have more cases of factory centerfire ammo tucked away than the amount of factory ammo I've ever shot.

Reloading hasn't saved me any money. I went from shooting a couple hundred rounds per year to 5,000 or more every year.
If you can get free lead casting can save boatloads of money. Funny , I bought a smelting pot, molds and a powder coating supplies and yet to open any of it , been sitting on my reloading bench the last two years. I just feel its wasteful plinking now that primers are more expensive than Gold. I just reload for highpower now and just shoot for scores. Something satisfying trying too shoot perfect score. 50rds a range session is good enough for me and my wallet

A few years ago I developed a yen for the .410. Was able to buy several over a 3 year period side by sides, bolt action, pump action, single shots, pistol, derringer, you name it. Bought 8 and 9 dollar a box 25rd .410's every time I saw them to stock up. By the way, I reload for EVERYTHING ....But that one.... Last 18 months or so. 46 bucks a box!!!Wow.
Since I still love my .410's Got online to MEC bought me a 600Jr.for about the price of 6 boxes of .410's at my LGS and life is good. Found something new to play with.

Back