Ammo

You need a manufacturers license (06FFL [27 CFR 178.41]). Wouldn't hurt to get some good liability insurance, while you're at it.

If youre just selling some to like friends, I wouldnt worry about getting a license.

If you wanted to actually make alot of money out of it, getting a license and the works so you can get a good profit.

While the chances of selling to "friends" may not bring down the wrath of the ATF upon you, should one of your "friends" have a KABOOM, you will find they will be your worst nightmare.

Go over to the handloading forum and search there. We talk about this all the time.

I saw an auctioneer sell unknown reloads at an auction a while back. I could not believe it.
THe most I would consider is trading. Tell them you want a set of dies or materials for the reloads.

Considering that the laws regulating firearms and ammunition vary from state to state, you might want to consider hiring a lawyer to answer this question, at least under your state's law. If you can't afford legal fees to start a business enterprise that has a lot of liability inherent in it, maybe you really can't afford to go into that business.

From both legal and common sense standpoints, it would be unbelievably foolish to sell reloaded ammo. The liability just doesn't compare to any possible financial gains from all but a huge operation.

Reload for someone else,useing their brass, you can do as labor plus the cost of material. No license reguired.
Reloading your own brass then selling it requires a license.
Loading new brass and selling requires license +the 11% Federal Ammo Tax.

I never would to much liability even if your load not blow up someones gun. If use it incorrectly they still might sue you.

selling reloads

I have done it under a friends license. it wont make you enuf to be worth it.I did it because there were no rds factory made.it was more a labor of love.and I was making them for myself. DONT DO IT

Forty years ago both Jack OConnor the rifle expert and Ken Waters the reloading expert observed that people tend to blame you for their own problems and their gun's problems if they're shooting your reloads.

This forum has a lot of anecdotes about exploding guns which can be found with various search terms. (The common abbreviation here for a barrel explosion is 'KB', which might help locating more threads.) If you look at this wealth of discussion you'll find lots of references to reloads. I don't know the percentage of the ones which resulted in lawsuits but I'd expect it to be high.

Back