ammo type

curly45

bought some sks ammo and it has a red tip. I think it may be tracer ammo but not sure, bought it from a lady that was selling x-husbands things he had left ? Any ideas got it in a tool bag with no description.:confused:

Most likely a polymer tip to maintain aerodynamics but becomes a hollow-point when it impacts the target.

If it's painted on, however, it could be incendiary. A very handy and successful local range was burned down thanks to an idiot that didn't know the difference.

Try to scratch the tip. If it is paint that comes off then it might be tracer OR other type of special projectile. Without knowing a source then the coding for special projectiles by color is somewhat problematic.

If it doesn't scratch then it is likely a polymer tip as eflyguy said.

Is the tip painted or a separate part? are the cases steel or brass? What are the headstamp markings? What is the packaging? box, paper wrap, in a plastic tupperware? any marking on the box or wrap?

I would wait until you could shoot it into a snowdrift. If you don't get many snowdrifts in south Texas send me the ammo and I'll give you a full report next winter. I think everybody that already replied to you are correct you bought tracers. So shoot with care.

Back