Ammo test

Red Star

Hey everyone :)

This weekend I will be heading to the range to find out what the best ammo for my Saiga 7.62 x 39 will be.

I have 20 rounds from the following brands:

Winchester
Fiochii
Sellier and Bellot
Prvi Partisan
Golden Bear
Brown Bear
Wolf

Ill be mounting a small (the 3 inch ones) shoot n c target onto a large piece of newsprint (large pieces of low grade paper), changing the target and the paper after each brand.

I will be sure to post pictures of the groupings when I get them :D

some details of the rifle itself:

Saiga 7.62 rifle with 20 inch barrel
tapco handguard
Saiga/Ismash skeleton stock
Super skinny front sight post (i cant remember the exact measurement on it, but its skinny :P)
Windage adjustable rear sight off a RPK.

Wish me luck!

Now, The results.

Here is the Yugo Surplus ammo that the rifle seems to like.

It was sighted in at 100 yds, Iron Sights only.

Wolf

here is the Wolf Ammo.

Its strange, but all of the russian ammo followed the same pattern of printing right and low. The worst culprit was Wolf.

Fiocchi

Better than the Russian stuff, but still kind of wide spread groups. I think this was down to us, not necesarily the ammo or the rifle.

Prvi Partisan

Getting better :)

It printed quite well, we just need to get better, and perhaps move the group to the right a tad.

Sellier and Bellott

This did really well. Had the best groupings of the day, and was cheaper ammo than the winchester (which was the costliest of them all)

Shot a tad to the left.

Last edited:
Russian Black Box

This stuff did surprisingly well. It didnt shoot too far to the right, or too low. (well, after a bit of tweaking, it should print really well)

I circled my grouping, my brother was all over the place with this one, I'll attribute that to gas. :P

All in all, the Sellier and Bellott did the best I think. With practice, i think it will put the best groups on target.
This will be the ammo that I buy 100 or so rounds of, and keep them somewhere as emergency, hunting, et al ammo.

For regular practice at the range, Im going to stick to the Russian BLack Box stuff. Like I said, we are really surprised at how well it shot. Also, its pretty cheap, so buying bulk isnt an issue :)

Hope this helps you Saiga and AK guys :)

Back