Ammo Storage

PACraftsman

I'm considering some long term storage of ammo. Call it emergency supplies or 'Prepper' supplies if you will. But, I'm putting together a duffle bag with a variety of items to be used in an emergency. One of which will be ammo.

My question is, has anyone ever vacuum sealed boxes of ammo at home with a kitchen vacuum sealer? Any pros or cons to this?

Pmc has battle packs that are like 200 rounds all sealed up like an mre
It should protect the liittle guys from the outside world

Yes

Yes, I have a few hundred rounds stored in thick vacuum sealed bags. It was more an experiment than anything else, I sealed them up and then buried them in the yard a couple feet deep and left them there for nearly a year. I dug up the bags, washed them off and you would never know it.

I've never sealed any ammo, but have used a vacuum sealer for lots of food products and it really protects it. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work well to protect ammo for storage.

I've never heard of anyone doing it for themselves... What went through my mind was as my vacuum sealer got down to brass tacks was the possibility of the pressure inside the casing pushing the bullet out of the casing enough to be out of spec, or possibly even out of the casing.

Vacuum sealer will crush peanut brittle, but cannot imagine it could put sufficient pressure on Ammo to cause any problem. The film is not that rigid or thick.

Air pressure INSIDE loaded ammo is going to be 14.7psi (air pressure at sea level) MAX.

Figure the base area of the bullet, and calculate what the actual pressure could be. Somewhat less than 14lbs, I would expect.

That much pressure should NOT result in ANY bullet movement. If it does, your ammo was crap to start with. :D

Unless you are putting ammo in a time capsule to be sealed for 100 years, you are going to bury your ammo cache in the ground, or it is going to be exposed to excessively high moisture/humidity, I see no advantage to vacuum sealing ammo. If stored properly in factory boxes or standard plastic reloading boxes, your duffle bag will rot and fall apart before the ammo goes bad.

Not really necessary. If ammo is dry and not subjected to sudden changes of temperature, I'll last longer than you will.

Many people have stories of shooting ammo that is well over 100years old. I've shot ammo from the turn of the century.

Back