Ammo Stockpiling

How many people one expects to kill in a gunfight or use in hunting isn't the measure of one's ammunition needs.

One will want enough ammunition to keep shooting even during periodic shortages and price fluctuations.

If you shoot 500 rounds per week, in order to get through a two year shortage and not wait two more years for the prices to come down, you'll need a bunch.

Last edited:
During the ‘08 panic, I wasn’t able to shoot recreationally for over two years.
At the time, I had a private range and shot recreationally several times a week. After that I stockpiled enough ammunition to recreational shoot every day for at least two years.

Problem is now I’ve lost track of how much ammunition I actually have because I’ve been steadily adding to my stockpile but have decreased shooting opportunities. But I know it’s well beyond two years worth.
I have about six months food supply and 5000 gallons of water.
Non of it does me any good if I actually have to leave my home though... can’t take it with me.

What are your thoughts PhotonGuy other than finding the opinion of the video interesting?

Do you agree or disagree with the premise?

As others have stated, they find the premise off base to what many of us consider when we manage our ammunition inventory. Many of us have a lot of various firearms in different calibers. I, too, remember the shortage between President Obama's first and second term. It was right after the elementary school shooting.

I happened to see clearly through my crystal ball and ordered a considerable quantity of various powders and primers just prior to the shortage hit hard. It saved me from having to go through the drought many other suffered.

Therefore, I found the video lacking in its rationale.

I wager most folks might not survive through one magazine in a firefight (ambushed, or outnumbered, or otherwise surprised). So that is a silly reason for stockpiling. Being able to shoot for fun and practice during shortages and to save bundles of money buying volume are excellent reasons. Buying by the 1,000 ct. case or 8# keg is way cheaper than individual small box units.

I would never barter ammo to strangers in a long term disaster scenario; they might want to return the lead parts someday.

While the video’s premise may be accurate the hokey attempt to use math as an explanation seemed a bit silly, especially with the final consensus being stock what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought it was entertaining and probably some truth to it..particularly, 'stockpile as much as you want'.

Same guy that did this video, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc&t=519s

I have enough so at the spur of the moment, son texts, "let's go shootin'"..I have enough onhand to just go..instead of going to WallyWorld(opposite direction)..plus I search for 'deals' online(.380 mostly) and those often involve 500-1000 round buys.

Right now I have 950 or so 9mm and 650 or so .380..about 400 22LR.

YMMV and all that.

I have 2 levels of ammo storage. The rainy day stuff is sealed up in ammo cans with dry packs in a safe and that stays there until an actual need arises, other stuff sits on shelves and is cycled out for outings.

Like others have said, I don’t expect a long siege. Ammunition stockpiles are for fun only. If I need more than a magazine full as a civilian, I’m probably not going to live long enough to see the end of a second or third 30rd magazine.
I don’t even carry a spare pistol mag. If I don’t get myself out of the dangerous situation with one magazine, then I’ll accept my fate. The one time in my life that I should’ve had a gun on me, I didn’t .... I still came alive, although not unscathed.

I'm with rickyrick, if I have to abandon my fortress stronghold then stockpiles mean nothing.

There is a goofy TV show titled The Walking Dead. This season they are now presumably in year 10 of the zombie apocalypse. They have finally run out of gasoline and have resorted to non-firearm weapons because they are finally out of bullets.

In a real apocalypse I can foresee both happening in a relatively short time as we try to protect ourselves from other tribes. No need for zombies either.

Do we have to do the why carry an extra mag debate, yet again.

Oh well:

1. Will you be in a more than one opponent gun fight?
2. Why do you assume you will actually hit someone with your limited number of rounds? It isn't the square range.
3. The extra mag is the fix for many malfunctions. No, your gun doesn't malfunction - until it does.
4. If you postulate that carrying more ammo is not necessary or even nuts, you make the Biden/Schumer/Pelosi/antigun organization case that higher capacity weapons are not needed. Since they make rampages more deadly, they should be banned. After all, you are willing to carry less and accept your fate. 5 is enough should have been in the 2nd Amendment - Oh, that was only for single shot muskets - I think!

Those state bans - fine idea!

I stockpile ammo to save money and keep shooting recreationally during panic buying. I’ve still got some Winchester Q3131A I bought from Bass Pro for $142/1000. During the big ammo drought I remember seeing people asking $900 for that same ammo.

Buying in bulk lets me cut down on ammo costs. Having enough ammo on hand to ride out a panic means I can buy when it is $142 or $250 per thousand instead of when it is $900 per thousand.

I usually keep about 500 rounds for my commonly used guns and then replace what I shoot up in matches and classes. A great bargain will increase those amounts.

I always kept at least a few thousand rounds of each caliber and would buy more when there was a good deal. I should have sold some for a nice profit when prices went through the roof after the Sandy Hook tragedy in 2012. I think it took almost 5 years for ammo to be fairly plentiful. Prices were very high for almost 2 years after until manufacturers finally caught up with demand and the hoarding slowed down.

While I had a decent reserve (relatively speaking), I didn't go to the range nearly as often since I wasn't sure when ammo would be plentiful and reasonably priced again. If I am in a poop hits the fan situation, there is no way I could load up all my ammo. There are far more important survival gear requirements. This was the case with Hurricane Irma as it was headed to Florida. I went through Hurricane Andrew, back in 1992 and saw the craziness that happened in the aftermath. When Irma was headed towards us , I grabbed my AR with about 10 loaded mags and my concealed carry gun with a case of 9mm JHP. I'm sure that was still overkill as I am not looking to get into an extended fire fight. I understand desperation during crazy times, but if people are armed and threaten the safety of my family, I will do what I have to in order to protect them. Better to have it and not need it rather than the other way around.

Wasn’t opening the extra mag debate, sorry about that.
I just don’t choose to carry one. I don’t foresee needing a gun statically in my mind. Lived a long time and haven’t had too many violent encounters in my life. I did learn that iPhone touchscreens do not work when covered with my own blood.
I only wanted to illustrate that almost all of my stockpile is to get through any unforeseen ammunition shortage in the future.
I used to just purchase ammunition for recreational use at the time of the outing. I’d keep a few boxes of hunting ammunition on hand but had no stores of plinking ammo.
I got caught with my pants down and was unable to shoot for a long time.

I simply don’t care if I die because I didn’t have enough ammunition on my person. Gun fails or I run out, oh well... it’s not the point of my hoarding lol.

I think ammo droughts and stockpiling make a good case to especially bulk up on .22LR, 9mm and .223 since they are some of the less expensive cartridges in their categories. Even if a drought goes longer than anticipated ( and each one seems to last much longer than the previous), you can at least still keep shooting your deep inventory. I currently do this but with .40 instead of 9mm, but seeing the prices that have dropped recently where 9mm can be had for less than $10/50, while .40 is still around $15/50 makes me reconsider my focus.

I like to keep at least 2,000 loaded rounds per “deep stock” cartridge, with components to reload another 2,000. For other cartridges it is more like 500 reserve and components for 1,000. If I come across a favorite bullet or powder on sale in bulk then inventory can increase by quite a bit. The reserve is only to be used when regular stocks have been exhausted and is a red flag to re-evaluate shooting consumption.

In one family outing we can go though a few hundred rounds of a few calibers so even 2,000 would not last long in a drought. Once a drought starts I begin gradually cutting back rounds per range session and shift a little more to rimfire. After enduring several ammo and reloading shortages I am leaning toward you can never have too much ammo stored up. It lasts a very long time and will get used eventually. And if you buying during times of plenty then you save a ton of dollars over the years.

How many people one expects to kill in a gunfight or use in hunting isn't the measure of one's ammunition needs.

One will want enough ammunition to keep shooting even during periodic shortages and price fluctuations.
I stockpile ammo to save money and keep shooting recreationally during panic buying. I’ve still got some Winchester Q3131A I bought from Bass Pro for $142/1000. During the big ammo drought I remember seeing people asking $900 for that same ammo.

Buying in bulk lets me cut down on ammo costs. Having enough ammo on hand to ride out a panic means I can buy when it is $142 or $250 per thousand instead of when it is $900 per thousand.
Double Bingo!

I like 50 cal cans and depending on the caliber I can get 500 + - rounds per can.

House ever catches on fire I’ll be pitching cans out the backdoor.

No plan to bugout but I can always stash my cans in the woods or bury if needed.

So what dictates amount is how many cans I have at present, not a made up number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if you have bought a few guns that use imported ammo & all of a sudden they stop all imports of that ammo. That means you stock up before the price goes through the roof.
snc610.jpg

Most of it was bought for less than 9 cents per round.
I have seen it selling for $400 per spam can at a local gun show. LOL

Um, I have ammo on hand because I typically shoot a couple of hundred rounds a week. That's around 10K rounds a year.

The joker putting together the video knows nothing about shooting as a sport. To him, it's all about SHTF or killing. Maybe that works for him, but I enjoy my sport.

Back