Ammo Scare or Ammo Scam.

N8

Inactive
Greetings...

When I go to the local gun shop or show and they tell me they 'don't know when they'll get more 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, or .45acp ammo' then turn around and sell one of the 'last cases' for 50% more than it cost last year... -OR- they don't have any more packs of 500, but they'll sell me a 1000 if I act now...

I don't trust 'em.

There are mail order companies out there who are still selling large volumes of ammo at reasonable prices. If the vendors at the gun shows want to perpetuate the y2k fear, it's their own business.

Shop around, friends.

(I can't believe that guy wants $50 for a hicap .22rf magazine?)

N8

I've been buying Winchester 9mm Hardball at my local Wal-Mart for $6.96 a box of 50. I haven't found anybody cheaper through mailorder or internet. Stick with the big chains, less chance of this sort of thing happening; plus you get the advantage of their high volume buying ability.

[This message has been edited by Kittle (edited May 27, 1999).]

Hey,
I am going to be buying a 1000 round case of .223/5.56MM NATO

Any good sources?

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Kodiac, Midway has it in packs of 300 for $60 or 3 packs (900) for $165. The free shipping brings the total down a little also.

Midway's site is www.midwayusa.com. Phone is 1-800-243-3220.

If you want to order now, the item numbers are:
300 packs #962-109 ($59.99)
900 packs #751-181 ($164.99)

It states the 5.56 is NATO production from So. Africa, berdan primers, non-corrosive, brass casings.

I've been using the Midway stuff listed above- Last weekend I put ~200rnds through a Mini-14, with zero failures. The bore didn't look bad, either, I ran some solvent through it and it cleaned right up.

So far I've gotten good service with Midway, free shipping is a bonus.

With the Mini's it doesn't matter much that you can't reload the brass, its usually so trashed when(if) you find it.

The ammo scarcity is pretty real. The nationas largest wholesaler ships all ammo in the popular caliber (7.2x39. .223, most .45 and 9mm ball) out within hours of recieving a truckload at their distribution center. That would leave the retail guys hanging by a string hoping to get part of the next shipment, as they describe.

I know several shops that will order ammo all day long at "normal"or reduced costs, and let you wait to see when/if it comes in, but they sell the stuff in their shop at a higher "premium" price, because it is available.

------------------
-Essayons

FWIW, I just bought 500 rnds of S&B 9mm ball plus a couple of boxes of .380,.45 & .32 fro Nantchez Shooters Supply 9www.natchezss.com). Ordered it on Tuesday, on my doorstep the following Monday. Good prices, nice folks to deal with. M2

[This message has been edited by Mike in VA (edited June 10, 1999).]

check cheaper than dirt and the sportsmans guide for deals on ammo-- both seem to have good prices and availability.both also have websites(name+.com)
cmore

Sportsmans Guide has individual boxes of UMC .223 for $4.97 per box, plus shipping.
Catalog #: B99A-6081
www.sportsmansguide.com

MattSKSupplies has 300 rnd sealed battlepacks of South African .223 at $59 per pack with free shipping. At least they had them last week.
(937) 322-5767.

[This message has been edited by LoneWolf (edited June 12, 1999).]

How about reloading components?

Does anyone have a good source for .223 bullets, heads, slugs, whatever...
smile.gif

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

Scare, scam or sham... the system works. It's called supply and demand. It's a fundamental concept and the foundational basis of capitalism.

It isn't just guns & ammo & shelf-food for Y2K. It's cards, flowers and chocolates at Valentines & Mother's Days. It's gas prices on the weekends that are going to be sunny, and especially if it's a 3-day holiday weekend. It's champagne for the Millenium eve celebration. It's rental trailers and trucks during summer months. It's the price and availability of milk, bread and tire-chains when a snowstorm is predicted. It's condoms as the full moon rises.

Whatever the merchandise, if there is an opportunity to increase its apparent market value, only a fool in the business wouldn't take advantage of the timing and more importantly the market's (us'ns) willingness to pay higher prices for the same thing. Believe me, if we the people didn't make such a mad dash to the store at ever rumor of impending catastrophe, these prices would plummet and stay just above the cost to provide a marginal profit. So don't blame the retailers, We The People control this country and everything that goes on in it, either directly or indirectly by our actions and reactions.

Don't be startled into a stampede like a herd of cattle. Think through the situation as to the real risk to you and yours, and get just enough supplies to carry you thru the very worst of it. If you get more than that, it'll be a waste on your part (you'll be stuck with crap that you can't unload for half of what you paid) and you'd be fueling the feeding frenzy of increased demand... ergo higher prices. Think about it.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(ps: WalMart, KMart,Target, and other large chain stores are the better sources for lower priced "common" ammo. Specialty stuff should be obtained from a volume distributor, e.g. Midway & etc.)

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited June 12, 1999).]

I sure hope that you all are not going to Kmart for anything. They still have not dumped the roadblock (Rosie O'Donnell) as their spokesman. Anyhow, Wal Mart has a better selection and comparable prices.

One of my local gun stores just received 20+ cases of Q223...he's selling it at $190 a case.......comparing to the prices ya'll speak of, its high....fubsy.

Back