Ammo Sales online

HughScot

I see many ads for ammo and the cost of shipping is huge. Why don't people buy locally? There may be some people who don't live handy to a gun shop but it's hard for me to believe there are that many. Just curious.

I see many ads for ammo and the cost of shipping is huge. Why don't people buy locally? There may be some people who don't live handy to a gun shop but it's hard for me to believe there are that many. Just curious.

Lots of time there are some ammo you can't get locally, I buy most of mine locally but certain type & weight of caliber is not available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even in larger cities, gun stores my not carry the ammo you want. If you are looking for simple range ammo, finding it won't be a problem. However, if you need a certain specific type of ammo then your only choice is to order it.

As to shipping charges, that's why I like Grafs. With them, you pay a handling charge for your order and they pay shipping.

Wal-Mart has a 3 box limit, and I have to pay sales tax if I buy locally. I'd buy from a "Mom & Pop" LGS, but they're more expensive than Wal-Mart. I'm willing to pay a little more to support locally-owned businesses, but there's a limit to that.

I've only purchased online one time, but even with shipping and insurance, I was able to get a better price per round than the local Wal-Mart.

I don't know about other states but in my area of southern commiefornia LGS's and even big box stores charge 40-55% more. That's in hand costs to include shipping, tax etc for the comparisons.

As an example, I just bought 24 boxes of Fiocchi .308 online for 13.20/ box. Local the cheapest I could find it was 19.35/ box.

For where I live, online is the way to go. Until I start reloading.

I buy by the case online with free shipping and no tax; prices are less than wally world or the local places.

I shop carefully and get free shipping with decently priced ammo. S&H is just one way that some companies jack of prices. They have been doing that since you could first order anything by mail.

I pretty much only buy on line. When I do I buy at least 500 rds and usually 1000 to help amortize shipping costs. I also only by ammo that is on sale. I almost always save at least $1.00 or more per box vs. buying from local stores. (And that includes shipping cost).

The only Ammo I don't buy on line is shotgun shells. Too heavy to cover shipping costs.

The only Ammo I don't buy on line is shotgun shells. Too heavy to cover shipping costs.

Academy and Cabela's always have some free shipping on buys over $25/$99 respectively. Catch a sale and it's cheaper than local plus sales tax

Buying bulk locally, where I am at anyway, would be pretty rough on the pocket book. Now I do pick up a few boxes here locally for a range run but when I am stocking up I like using Sportsmansguide, Ammoseek etc. I also refuse to pay shipping for ammo, if you look around a bit there are online coupons for free shipping.

Because I hate driving, dealing with people and the time it takes to go get it. Gas cost money, wear and tear on my vehicle cost money, my time is valuable. Therefore, for me, its worth it when it shows up at my door.

I buy most my ammo on line. You can get some great deals that way and it is much easier then running all over town or even hitting the gun show when they are in town. For me it is cost savings and convince.

So... for plinking ammo I recently picked up CCI Blazer 9mm. Even with all shipping and tax I paid $0.21/round (1000 rounds). That's cheap. I understand the plight of the LGS and small businesses, but as a consumer it is hard for me to pay and extra $0.09/round just to buy locally! My personal choice is to spend an extra 10%-ish to support a local business. Maybe if I had more disposable income I could afford to pay more.

I don't buy ammo locally because 1, they are way overpriced compared to what I find online, 2 they don't stock the ammo I prefer and 3 after the savings in taxes it pretty much covers most of the flat rate shipping costs($9.99).

1) You can usually find it cheaper online (even with shipping $'s)
2) It's much easier to find .50 BMG (for me anyway) or other non-mass-market ammo online than calling or going to a dozen local stores
3) There are some really good online search engines that sort ammo by price, etc, such as http://ammoseek.com/ammo/50bmg
4) It's just gotten alot easier to buy online than not

I buy online from freedom munitions or laxammo usually. Catch a sale; or shipping promo and I'm getting 9mm for around $10 per box and .45 for about $12.50 per. Worth it to me if I buy at least 500 rounds or more for the convenience and I save a few bucks too. Plus, I can get what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back