Ammo on hand?

ZVP

My life has changed since I was 55, I am now 10 years older, crippled in the legs and feet and no longer can Hunt or even shot Clays.
I still like to blast aqay with my Shotguns and within my limitations, have basically become a "Plinker" and pattern checker (my excuse to just shoot the shotguns at the Club) They don't mind and play along...
Anyhow, ny question is how much ammo should I keep on hand?
Right now I'm down to a couple boxes of 29 ga Buckshot, around 40 rounds of 12ga Buckshot (Both for H/D) and about 4 boxes of #4 Phesant loads for eash gun and about 4 boxes of Target loads for each gun.
Here, in my part of California Target loads are plentyful as are Phesant loads. Of late, 20 Ga Buckshot has been impossible to get! I located 2 boxes (10 shots) of 20 ga at a gun show and grabbed em! 12 Ga is available believe it or not at Wal Mart! But it goes fast so you have to buy it as you can. These are H.D shells and hopefully I'll never need em except to "Pattern" with.
Mind you I am on a Seniors budget and have to buy within reason.
I realise this is a bare bones supply, so hoe many and of what loads should I keep on hand? Please give resonable estimets OK?
Thanks,
BPDave

As a new shotgun owner I am looking at buck for aroudn the house and slugs for camping in bear country.

Once I have my sights dialed in I think I'll feel 'prepared' with 10 or 20 #1 buck for HD and 10 or 20 slug rounds to take to camp. The slugs I'll probably put in foodsaver bags five at a time, keeping five out for the actual gun and maybe another five in a side saddle. I get to remote camp sites in my boat, so some ammo for each gun needs to be in waterproof packaging.

With those 20-40 rounds in hand my plan is to practice with the cheaper birdhot, ass/u/me/ing I can leave the sights alone.

It depends on how much you shoot and how fast it gets used up.
For the readily available ammo, there's nothing wrong with regular trips to the gun shop to replenish - and entertain the youngsters behind the counter.
For the harder to find ammo, it depends on whether it's for what's anticipated for home defense need, or a stockpile for the possibilities of social unrest, after the next earthquake.
So, it all depends.

I am also in California and getting worried about the availability of ammo. WalMart is getting better for shotgun, even thought the price is up. Mine used to only carry the Winchester and Federal promo stuff and was out of that for a while, but now they usually have some in 12 and 20 gauge, as well as some Remington Gun Club and Estate target loads - not paid much attention to hunting loads.

For HD and emergencies I keep about 30 rounds of buck and 10 slugs. Besides that I liked to have at least two months of supplies on hand for clay shooting, but with the problems getting supplies, if I could I would lay away a six month supply.

Here in Calif, ammo supplys seem to always be in question. Shipments are sometimes under the order count(especally .22 Rimfires!) however field loads for 12 ga are usually available, in some stores, 20 ga seems to outpace 12 ga. Why, I dunno. I find myself shopping at at least 2 stores to get my field and target loads,
Serious "social" ammo is another case, often the 20 gauge is very hard to locate Buckshot for. 12 ga slugs and Bucksbot is a bit more acessable but still you need to shop to find it! I think that if I have 6 mo supply of field and pratice shells will be enough. I am going to try and locate at least 50 rounds of 20 ga Nuckshot. I already have my 12 ga covered.
Gun shops used to besource but now online is the route. An iffy one sometimes from minute to minute!
Thanks for the help!
BPDave

I'm a very occasional shotgun user. Basically I use one once a year on opening quail day. My only shotgun is an old wing master 12 gauge. I've got about 50 rounds of low flash buckshot & about double that in bird shot. I figure that will last me quite sometime. Like, years.

Now I'm tinkering with a 16 gauge Ward's take down pump that dad had given to him. Since, at least as far as I've seen around here, that's an uncommon gauge I'll probably buy more shells for it as the become available. My favorite LGS has a stack of federal buckshot so I buy a box each time I go since it's the only shells I can find. When I find some bird shot, I'll imagine I'll buy it by the cart in case I don't see it again.

As much as you use, would reloading be an option?

Back