Ammo manufacturers annoy me

Evil Monkey

Why do they seem to always mess things up?

So a cartridge has a certain geometry to it. Why do some manufacturers go against the standard and create a loading that is unreliable in half the pistols out there?

Perfecta/Fiocchi 40sw 170gr is an excellent example. This stuff just doesn't work in my M&P40. The bullet is too conical and the case walls are too thick, creating a sharp mouth. I constantly get fail to feeds with this crap. Goes into the chamber too late and catches the top of the chamber with the casing edge. Gotta pull the slide back a little bit to correct itself and feed.

Why not just design the damn bullet the way it is supposed to be designed? Is that so hard? This is especially a problem with 40sw because it's short and stubby.

Look at this non sense

Normal
ek%206-17-15%20am%20015.JPG

Retarded
ek%206-4-15%20pm%20009.JPG

One of them will work better than the other.

How thick is the brass at the case mouth of the respective brands?

I can't measure them, but the Perfecta stuff was noticeably sharper when rubbing the bullet downward into the case mouth with my thumb. Compared to Federal aluminum and steel cased Tulammo, it's obvious. You can tell with your eyes too. Not to mention, the Perfecta casings bulge out where the bullet is seated. I don't see that with federal and tula.

just stop buying junk ammo.

if ammo works in my gun but jams up in yours, no matter how much I praise it, to you it is junk. find what works in your gun and stick with it. if and when they change it, move on to something better.

just stop buying junk ammo.

if ammo works in my gun but jams up in yours, no matter how much I praise it, to you it is junk. find what works in your gun and stick with it. if and when they change it, move on to something better.

That's the thing about it though, Fiocchi/Perfecta is good quality ammo from Italy. Apparently, the ammo works in the pistols they're testing them in.

Sometimes I feel like the pistols are to blame too. If people tend to have a problem with hollow point ammo, with all their different bullet profiles, the owners will blame the pistol for not being designed to handle hollow point profiles. Well why do they think differently about FMJ ammo?

Ammo makers should adhere to a standard cartridge dimension.

OR

Firearm engineers should incorporate all bullet profiles into their designs.

In my opinion, I would prefer a standard cartridge design. It's easier to isolate crappy pistols than it is to isolate crappy ammo, especially if not everyone is having the same results.

Some guns have a brand or 2 that just does not work well or in some cases at all.

Some guns can eat anything out there. Your M&P does not like this ammo.

I've shot them a lot in my 2 9mms and my 380 and they have worked with no issues at all. It must be a 40 issue.

My guess, ammo is within spec in terms of dimensions. Armsport 45ACP snap caps work fine while some folks complain of Traditions sticking in the chamber. Both are within spec. My S&W 745's work fine with the latter while the Colt GC series 70 sticks.

E.M., do you reload any of your ammo? You could probably negate this problem with the turn of a screw, if you did.

I don't reload. I considered it at one time and decided it wasn't in my best interests.

My guess, ammo is within spec in terms of dimensions.

Speaking of dimensions, I have read something about European gun and ammo manufacturers adhering to CIP standards of manufacture, which maybe different from SAAMI. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Some times ammo makers choose to do a tradeoff. Some years back, Remington found their .380 ammo didn't work well in the (then) common Beretta 1934, so they changed the bullet shape to overcome that. The new bullet worked perfectly in Berettas but didn't work in the Walther PP/PPK. Remington figured there were more Berettas (a common GI bringback) than Walthers and kept the design, even though the Walther importer put a note in with every gun advising to use only Winchester-Western or German ammo.

Just one more reason for those who may need reliability to test fire their guns with the ammunition they want to use and be willing (and quick) change to another brand if the first choice has problems.

Jim

I think its a bullet ogive issue. Beyond hardball there is no spec., I think. If I remember correctly, example, according Speer the usual 9mm bullet doesn't work for 357Sig because of ogive.

The "turn of a screw" sounds like an idea, reducing OAL (over all length) of the cart. Could be the bullet is hitting the ramp too soon relative to the position of the slide during cart. loading/chambering.

Back