AMMO Inc. 115gr JHP question...

kymasabe

First of all, my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong category, wasn't really sure where it belongs.
Secondly...AMMO Inc. carries a 115 grain JHP, and I'm seeing it for sale at some surprising low prices. I'm tempted to buy a few boxes but...I'm a 124gr Federal HST guy, may run some of that new Sig V-Crown stuff if I can't find my HST's, so I really don't want to bother buying the AMMO Inc stuff if it doesn't have a decent reputation or if expansion or penetration is lacking. I can't identify the bullet they're using, looks like might be an older Remington bullet, but I've contacted AMMO and they haven't responded with an answer to which bullet they're using. Does anyone have any real experience with these?

Last edited:
Hornady XTP

I just got an email from them, says they're loading with the Hornady XTP bullet.
I can live with that !

I am a huge fan of hst.

Vista put out a paper on the dif of their Punch and HST line. Worth the read.

Ar15.com has a link that shows best ammo for sd. Dr Roberts opined the only 115gr in 9mm that is ok is the barnes all copper jhp.

That said, will xtp in that light weight work. Yes. Are there WAY better options? Yes.

Ammoseek. I find hst to usually be the cheapest jhp that is good.

I personally dont care for Hornady's xtp outside of 380.

Xtp is an under rated bullet imho. But if i have a choice i buy hst. However i have never found the hst bullet as a component.

Xtp has limited smaller expansion by design. It is a penetrator first. Hornady lists it as a penatrator.

Hst follows Ranger and Talon with skiving with 6 pedals that is bonded. It is an expander. Since both get enough from 9mm, hst will perform as deep and will expand more with lower fps.

Xtp isnt bad. Hst is better. Cost the same? HST

in 115gr? I would pass. Even in Gold Dot.

Last edited:
Xtp has limited smaller expansion by design. It is a penetrator first. Hornady lists it as a penatrator.

Hst follows Ranger and Talon with skiving with 6 pedals that is bonded. It is an expander. Since both get enough from 9mm, hst will perform as deep and will expand more with lower fps.

Xtp isnt bad. Hst is better. Cost the same? HST

in 115gr? I would pass. Even in Gold Dot.
I prefer 124s, but will be switching to 147s in the near future.

Xtp favors penetration over expandion. But its still a good effective bullet.

Hst is my top pick. But i cant get it as a component to reload. Picked up 1000 124g gold dots to reload a few months back.

Last edited:
Well, only grabbed two boxes, it's the backup to my backup ammo. 124gr HST's are my go to, I've got a little 124gr Sig V-crown, and now these.

Well, only grabbed two boxes, it's the backup to my backup ammo. 124gr HST's are my go to, I've got a little 124gr Sig V-crown, and now these.
There are lots of good bullets. We all have our personal preferences, and that is what a LOT of it comes down to these days, so many good options. Gold dot, HST, XTP, and many others are all very good bullets IMHO. While I prefer other bullets, if I could not get those, I would be happy with the XTP's.

Vista put out a paper on the dif of their Punch and HST line. Worth the read.

I like the concept of Punch. I've never been convinced I need a HP bullet that will reliably penetrate windshields, sheet metal, and walls. In fact, under most foreseen circumstances, I'd rather my bullets not penetrate these barriers. But, if barrier penetration becomes important, I can carry an extra spare mag loaded with FMJs or HCs, or candy stripe a mag with an assortment of JHP, FMJ, and HC.

Back