ammo for steyr

paladin-34

I see lots of wwii steyr's for sale and would love to pick onr up but am afraid it will be a gun that will be hard to find ammo for. what r your thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't think there were any WWII Steyr Mannlichers. Or at least no new models. afaik they were all variations on the Model 1895.

There are 3 different cartridges. Most common is the 8x57mmR Steyr. Less common are the 8x50mmR and the 8x57 Mauser.

If you find one chambered for the Mauser, you're good to go. For the other two, reloading is your best bet. There might be some trouble with accuracy.

Iirc there is some commercial 8x57mmR around on occasion, but it's very rare. I haven't heard of anyone making 8x50mmR.

These are cool rifles, with an interesting design. It was originally a long barreled rifle and then most were altered to carbine length.
Recoil in the carbine length can be eye opening.

Someone who knows what they're talking about will fill in the details.

Small correction, the round in question is the 8x56R Mannlicher. The vast majority of "Steyr" rifles are in this caliber and milsurp ammo is still around. Get the rifle and stack the ammo deep.

I think that the surplus ammo market has dried up. Reloading is probably the most economical choice, but as far as I know, the dies are designed for .329" bullets, which are usually too small for an M95. There's a whole do it yourself industry in modifying Lee dies and sizers to make 8x56R bullets out of .338 cast bullets.

I don't shoot mine very often, so I've just sucked it up and bought a box of Prvi ammo every now and then. I do save the brass, so one of these days...

Back