Ammo for my snubby...lead or jacket

andreb

I received a couple of days ago my Taurus 85UL. I 'll be shooting it for the first time this weekend. Initially I thought about practicing with lead reloads but I read somewhere that lead bullets and ported barrels are not a good cobination since lead residues can start to biuld up in the porting holes. I was thinking of using jacketed or at least semi-jacketed bullets to avoid this. Is this true about the residue? Is it worth shooting lacketed or should I shoot lead and clean the holes later? It looks like cleaning those small holes might be a pain in the ass.

Thak you guys,

André

You might try Copper plated bullets. I use them exclusivly. There are several manufactures. No barrel leading and much cleaner as far as toxic lead fumes go. Also will not plug up the ports like lead.
If your buying the ammo Winchester Win-clean would be a good bullet. for your first shoot.

Good Shoot'en

Tony

Lead in my Taurus? NO-not ever

Although lead wadcutters are extremely effective rounds designed for snubbies, I steer a wide path around any lead rounds. I shoot nothing but Georgia Arms JHP's of which they have several quality PLUS-P weights, including gold dots. From all I've read and seen about the hassles of cleaning lead out of barrels, no way in my gun. My own Taurus Ultralite is a clean as a whistle, even after shooting a couple hundred rounds of jacketed ammo. It requires minimal cleanup to be be brought back to nearly-new condition. I guess I'm just lazy!

SWCHP+Ps have an excellent history of working wonderfully with snubnose revolvers. I use them exclusively in my Taurus M85CH.

However, I would avoid using them in an Ultra Lite due the increased muzzle flip and recoil. Out of a light revolver, lead bullets sometimes tend to work their way out of the case after recoil and bind the cylinder.

If I were to abandon my favored SWCHPs, I would make the radical transition to Cor-Bon 110gr +Ps.

I'm with Tonyz ,
I too shoot only plated bullets. I tried Rainiers but they did not feed well in my 1911. I have since found Berrys http://www.berrysmfg.com They are an excellent company I use them in my .30 carbine , .38/357, .44 Spl, .45acp and soon in my .45-70. Shipping is free on orders over 25.00 which is good because bullet orders can get mighty heavy.
Cajun

Back