Ammo for my 1916 Luger

PearlJamNoCode

My grandfather gave me a 1916 DMW Luger pistol that we have taken to the range a few times over the years. Now that I own it, it is my responsibility to treat it properly. I would like to know if there is a specific type or brand of ammo that any of you would recommend to use with it. I know not to use any of the new +P type ammo that is out there, and I won't be using hollow points in it either, usually just 5 to 10 rounds at the range once every 2 or 3 months.

Any other advice about the pistol or good references are welcome.

Thank you!

I have a 41 dated BYF luger that was one of the Russian imports,so it wasnt in pristine shape so i dont feel bad about shooting it on occasions.People state that they are finicky about what you feed them,but this thing has always shot 100% with whatever i shoot in it.Just remember all matching numbers in decent shape and you're talking a couple of thousand dollars,break one part and watch the price drop.If i was going to shoot it i'd stick with any brass cased normal velocity loads.

Stick to standard velocity ammo, no +P. Yes, you may get some failures, but better than harming the pistol. (Lugers fired with very hot ammo often suffer broken ejectors, an expensive part.)

Jim

luger ammo

I have shot my WW1 lugers with whatever ammo I found. everything fired.
Been re-loading all my 9mm with 115 grain FMJ and 4.5 grains of Bullseye. Feeds beautifully...............

P-08's were designed for the original 9mm "Luger" loading. NO +P's and stick to 115 grain ball. I use the same 4.5 grains of bullseye or 5.5grs of Unique to push 115gr FMJ's with no problems. Tried a mag full of 124gr. JHP Speer Gold Dots, jammed every time!

Last edited:
Friend of mine has one of those 1923 Finns, with Tikka 9mm barrel.
It annoyed him by not functioning reliably with anything he tried from WWB and UMC to Fiocchi; but working fine with my IDPA subsonic handloads. He has since developed some more ordinary loads that shoot well.

In my younger years I had a 1936 S/42 that shot great with then available Canadian surplus. When that dried up, it was pretty sad with US commercial, so I sold it to a collector.

The original 9mm loading ...

Was a 124gr FMJ, and wasn't loaded as hot as most people think. Lugers will handle 115gr ball, usually, but each gun is an individual, and some are much more finicky than others. US commercial ammo was never loaded as hot as European stuff, and most Lugers won't work well with it. A lot (but not all) of the Luger's reputation for unrelability comes from the fact that US ammo isn't what it likes.

I have a 1936, and haven't shot it much, but so far it has worked with American Eagle 124gr ball.

(Lugers fired with very hot ammo often suffer broken ejectors, an expensive part.)

Not only broken ejectors, but shattered or crack breech blocks and broken extractors (both of which are numbered parts).

Back