Ammo For my 1884 Trapdoor

Garand1957

Inactive
Is there anywhere I can buy new ammo for my 1884 Springfield trapdoor rifle that is loaded to original black powder spec ?
I am not set up for reloading and not ready to start at this time.
I would just love to be able to take a few shots with this old war horse without having to make a big investment in buying reloading equipment etc.
Am I out of luck :confused:

I found this place when I was looking for ammo for my Winchester Model 1886 Lever Action chambered for 40-82 WCF.

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/

They want $35 per box for that cartridge. And you can send the brass back and have it reloaded for much cheaper.

Have not actually ordered anything from them though.

why not roll your own,?
or buy ammo as stated above that is specifically for cowboy action shooting ,,,cowboy loads.:D
keep your pressure well under 18,000 psi to be safe.;)

45-70

I have used Remington Express rifle 45-70 GVT 405 GR SP R4570G (for use in all rifles). Used it for years when not using BP and loading my own.
Cabelas' has had Cowboy and Black powder loads for 45-70.

Garand 1957- When you do get ready to load em yourself, invest in a copy of "Loading Cartridges for the Original Springfield Rifle and Carbine", by J.S and Pat Wolf. This is the best publication for us guys who want to reproduce the original type Arsenal loadings for our rifles. In the meantime, be careful what you feed your rifle, and a steady diet of jacketed bullets will ruin your bore. Good shooting.

I have an 1884 rifle that has been cut down to look like a carbine. It has a primo bore, but slugged out to .462 or .464, can't remember which. I ordered an oversized bullet mold from LBT and pan lubed. when I could see I got 2" 100 yd pyrodex groups with it. IF you end up with poor groups or leading you might want to check bore diameter.

hi,,,
as mentioned above the " wolfe " book is in my mind a " must -have " for all trap owners.
just my 2c worth:D

Back