Ammo for M1

sleeping dog

Does the M1 Garand have any special ammo requirements? Is the pressure generated by commercial rounds sufficient to work the action safely without blowing the shooter or the rifle to kingdom come?

I've been using mostly Remington CoreLokt 180 grain rounds in a 1903 Springfield, and I'm thinking of getting an M1.

Regards.
Tim

I had a similar question. Is PMC 150 grain 30.06 a safe load for my M1? Turner's has it for $7/20 this week. Need some more.

The Garand does have some restrictions on ammo. One of the main ones is the use of a powder in the right burning range. A too slow burning powder (IMR-4350 H-4831 etc.) with a heavy bullet will cause high gas port pressures. These same high pressures can cause violent extraction, bending the operating rod, and other not so nice things. IMR-4895 is often called "the powder of the M1" with bullets in the 150 to 168 grain range and sensible charges of IMR-4895 (or H-4895) you should have no problems what so ever. A few other things to be watchful for if reloading for the Garand is to make sure the brass is sized properly and take care that primers are seated properly. Oversized brass will cause problems with chambering, and a raised primer may cause a slamfire. Take care to use a primer that is not too sensitive as this also can cause a slamfire. CCI primers are a good choice as they are not overly sensitive. CMP reccomends using either US Military M1 or M2 ball, M73 match, or any commercial ammo with bullets not exceeding 180 grains.

------------------
Carlyle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forseti:
..and CMP sells surplus military ball ammo for the Garand for a pretty darn good price...in the clips for the Garand.[/quote]

I think they are out of it now as they only had 90 cans to sell, but I got my can of about 500 rounds of 30-06 brass in yesterday. It was all LC-68 brass in great shape. All this plus the ammo can for $37.95 shipping included. Now next month I have to convince the wife about how bad I need the 200 round can of Cal .30 ball for the $87.95. :D

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited May 18, 2000).]

sleeping dog - Everything Carlyle wrote. :)

I also suggest you do a search in the reloading forum on this site. The NRA also has a reprint that you can order "The M1 Rifle" that will give you approximate mil ammo reload specs for the Garand.

Milsurp ammo is still out there... for now... Talon and Cavim, mostly.

Destructo6 - The PMC 150gr. is supposed to be excellent Garand food. Very close to standard mil M2 ball specs from what I recall.

Carlyle - stop hogging the Lake City 168gr. match ammo. Geez..... :)

Ooops!! Brass only. ONE of these days I may learn to read. :D

Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff (edited May 18, 2000).]

Ditto on Southla1, Carlyle. Both the M1 Garand and the M14 should be fed military diets (or its ammo should approach mil-spec in performance).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cliff:
Ooops!! Brass only. ONE of these days I may learn to read. [/quote]

Don't feel bad about that Cliff I am still trying to learn to read, and now they throw these computer gadgets in so now I have to learn to punch all the right keys and read too!! :)

------------------
Carlyle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forseti:
..and CMP sells surplus military ball ammo for the Garand for a pretty darn good price...in the clips for the Garand. Check their website at www.odcmp.com [/quote]

Forseti,

I've ordered both the standard M-2 ball and the LC Match ammo. The prices were okay, but the shipping really adds up!

A better source could be your local Hi-Power affiliated club. Mine has the 200 round M-2 can for $60, but no shipping.

Frosty

I use primarily LC in my Garands. I did discover 8 rounds of LC will only warm up the gas cylinder. 8 rounds of Federal ball will make it too hot to touch. That must make for more wear I would believe. That is OK for my shooter rifle, but not the collectable ones.

Anyone run across any good mailorder deals on the PMC 30-06? Galyans in Columbus used to have it for $6.99/box but they haven't had any since before 2000.

Brian

Federal Classic 150 grain 30-06. It's perfect for the M1 Garand. The Federal American Eagle 30-06 appears to be mil spec also, if they are still making it, I haven't seen any in a while. Federal preimum is a bit too hot, especially in 180 gr loads.

Back