Ammo for .357 newbie?

Ed Dixon

Just got a .357 snubnose and was wondering what to feed it as I approach its learning curve. Expect to try out different bullet weights and types, but was wondering where to start. Will also at least try some 38 spec. If this sounds too ridiculous, try it this way: What's your favorite practice round? What round goes in for home/personal defense purposes?

I would try the .38 Special, 148 grain wadcutter - very accurate in my gun.
Next would be the .38 Special, 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter, and the 158 grain round-nose lead.

For defense - 158 grain, .38 Special +P lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoint.

Jacketed ammo is not accurate in my revolver. I use jacketed ammo mostly to blow the lead deposits out of the barrel after a shooting session, or when shooting indoors.

I recommend standard .38 Special SWC loads.

You will soon find out that the .357Magnum is just too much for a snubbie....

Start off small, 38 spec target loads...blazers, win white box etc..
get used to the gun and how it works. From there graduate to 38 spec +P or +P+ you will feel a difference..from there to very light wt mag loads, 110-115 gr FMJ loads ...keep going until you decide this is good. A snubbie is a real eye opener with full house mag loads. Mine has 125 gr Corbon JHP on my hip as I type...they are a handful, but not too much. It just depends on the person shooting the gun.

The 2 main factors in "felt" recoil are bullet wt and gun weight, you cant change the gun weight...work up slowly in 357 bullet wt and find what you like....shoot well

For home or personal defense, try Federal's .357 magnum
125 grain JHP "Hydra-Shok's".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I carry 125 gr. Remington golden sabers. VERY accuurate out of my SP101.

As for the 357 being "too much" for a snubbie, NIMO!!! Love my litte revolver.

The absolutely critical thing is a grip that works for you.

I couldn't come anywhere near control with the stock grips. On went a set of houge monogrips. Totally different gun.

Back