Ammo for 22 magnum revolver recommendations...

cpileri

I have a SA 22 revolver with optional magnum cylinder. I really like the little thing.(well, its full sized, but the caliber is little) I am looking into buying a brick of ammo, and i have never shopped price before on 22 Magnum.
Any rec's?
I am also thinking that I may want a soft point so I can use the Hanned Line tool and make a broader meplat with it.
Unless anyone knows a 22 Mag FMJ that has jacket at the base of the slug. (I don't want core-jacket separation issues at all!)
Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Carl

You might be better served by buying a box of each kind of ammunition that you can find locally to see what your gun likes best. Typically, they prefer some over others.

Dang, I just read in the last month or two a great article about .22 mag ammo. But I can't remember off the top of my head where it was! Maybe someone else will know, and in the mean time when I get some time, I will see if I can find it. There is a wide variety, of preformance levels out there that I at least did not know about. Wide variety of bullet styles, and velocities.

Go to the NAA website at www.naaminis.com and click on "technical". From there, go to "velocity data". They tested velocity with a TON of different .22Mag loads, in minirevolvers with barrels running from 1 and 1/8th inch out to 4 inches. Just remember that a "Black Widow" means it's a 2" barrel and "MiniMaster" means 4".

The real speed demons are the 30grain JHPs, esp. the CCI MaxiMag +V and "TNT" variant (the TNT is the same load, same ballistics, but with a 30grain Sierra JHP with a bigger cavity).

You'll get upwards of 1,400fps from those in a 4" tube, more if you've got a Ruger Single Six with a 5.5" or longer barrel.

If you need "solids" that won't expand, I'd consider taking the CCI +V and loading the JHP cavity with a good epoxy, such as JB-Weld :). Betcha it won't expand then!

Anyone know of any 22 mag that is either

solid lead without jacket, or else has a TMJ- i.e jacket covers the base?
Again, so I can use the Hanned Line Tool to make SGB's?
Carl

bigger meplat

Hollow points rip too much of a squirrel to shreds, rabbit too. A bigger meplat makes a more effective small game bullet without making little clouds of red vapor out of the target.
C-

Hmmmm ...

Certainly no flames, but isn't that what a .22LR is for? Seems that within the usual (all disclaimers apply here ;) ) range for a handgun on small game, the .22LR is perfectly suited for what you want to do.

I know that surely doesn't preclude wanting to do something else however - different strokes 'n all that.

.22 magnum solids still tear up the littler stuff pretty good with body shots. I think you might run into the "it's the velocity, not the bullet profile" thing.

Interesting article, mec & thanks for the link.

I've a Ruger ~5-1/4" bbl with the "switch-blade" cylinders & mainly just shoot the mag .22, as it fills a very nice niche - mostly fall season turkeys here in CO. (.22LR does everything smaller & .38 specials catch the rest ;) )

I use the Win Super-X, either solids or HP - both shoot rather well outa mine. A 60 yd HP hit on an ~25lb turkey dropped him like a stone & the bullet shot straight through, zip for expansion - this through the lower breast & with zip for meat damage.

Just checking the above rounds & the bullet "shaves" rather nicely with a sharp pocket knife. I'd think that the Hanned tool would make short work of making a larger metplat. The box says "Jacketed hollow point," but it appears plated, rather than a true jacketed material.

A quick check of the CCI Maxi Mag +V shows a much harder "plating," whatever ....

I would agree that you should buy just a 50-count box of a few flavors to see what shoots most accurate out of your handgun & go from there. 22mags are pricey enough that I'd find out what works before dropping the bucks down on something that might not. & after changing the bullet profile, you may have to start over ....

Handgun hunting for small game = I'll use the .22LR HP - even the Rem sub-sonic, does the trick quite well with any chest shot, & even with rifle velocities, a rabbit may have enough "umph" to still drag itself into its hole. :( A head shot with the .22s = only way to be sure, & with the mag (or even a .50 cal ;) ) doesn't waste any meat.

My personal flavors for handgun small game is, & depending on range, etc. are the .22LR CCI MiniMags, Rem's CBee22 (pretty quiet) & the Aguila Colibri "no powder" round (most quiet).

At times, I'll load 2-3 flavors in a cylinder & just "dial in" the round suitable for range & game. A color-coded cartridge base allows quick ID.

Again, not disparaging a want to "make a bigger metplat," I only ask so to provide my own experiences & maybe save some time/energy with a change in technique rather than a "reinvention."

& the ramblings of some old guy ... ;)

Back