Ammo Dealer

kraigwy

The Hardware store in my town was sold. The new owners wants to continue selling ammo and asked me to give this a list of ammo and components that this area would demand. In working with them I learned they do not have a FFL of any kind. They intend to only sell ammo or components to load ammo.

I was under the impression that a dealer in ammunition also had to have a Federal Firearms license.

Am I correct??

Before I retired (1994) I had a FFL as a gunsmith and manufactors license for ammo. I've been away from the retail game for 15 years and I'm not clear but I thought the lic, to sell ammo was the same thats required for selling firearms.

We are on hold until I find out for sure if they need a license (to sell ammo) or not.

Thanks in advance

I was under the impression that a dealer in ammunition also had to have a Federal Firearms license.

For manufacture, not for retail sale.

(F11) Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition? [Back]

No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f11

Last edited:
Does Wyoming have a state license or excise tax?

Seems to me that it would be out of character for Wyoming, but I would check on it anyway.:D

Back