Ammo concerns for Rossi Youth .410

gadawg31

Good morning everyone, I recently traded for a Rossi youth handi rifle combo; .410 & .22LR. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on .410 slugs being shot. I want to be able to let my 7yr old shoot it and he seems to be able to handle the .410 recoil, so I thought I would get some slugs and let him try his hand at shooting a deer this year. My only cocnern is if the slugs will mess up the barrel, since it is not a rifled barrel. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

JD

You don't need a rifled barrel to shoot slugs. If it is a smoothbore barrel then you do use rifled slugs, however (counterintuitive, I know). For safety, you need to make sure that the barrel constriction is not 'full'. As long as it isn't full or tighter, you're good to go.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I never knew about that, since I have not had too many .410s. How would you check the choke size? I know on a 12 gauge, but have never heard of that on a .410. Thanks for the help.

JD

Since I don't think those guns have interchangeable choke tubes, it should be stamped on the barrel next to the caliber. I would expect it to say 'M' or 'Mod' for modified

Great, thanks hunter. I will check tonight and see. So you would recommend "NOT" shooting slugs thru it if it is "Full" or even smaller, correct? Thanks.

JD

I'm sure someone makes 'em, but you hardly ever see a .410 single in other than full choke. It will not harm your barrel to shoot a rifled slug thru a full choke barrel, they are made of soft lead and will fit the constriction. GW

Great, thanks hunter. I will check tonight and see. So you would recommend "NOT" shooting slugs thru it if it is "Full" or even smaller, correct? Thanks.

JD

I wouldn't recommend making a common practice of it. Shooting slugs through a full barrel occasionally won't hurt it, but if you do it a lot it can harm the barrel. And slugs fired through a full barrel are typically less accurate.

Back