Ammo cans - Aluminum or steel?

RileyMartin

I have various military surplus ammo cans including 50cal, fat 50 and 30cal and couldn’t tell if these are steel or aluminum. I had always assumed they were aluminum but I recently stripped the paint off of a fat 50 ammo can to repaint with a camo pattern and wasn’t sure what kind of primer to buy. Are these steel or aluminum?

Thanks

Check out Tractor Supply. A few months ago I purchased after market .50 cal cans for $8 each. They were a good copy of a USGI can.

I grabbed a magnet and tested the 3 od green metal ammo cans sitting next to me .
They appear to be USGI , are steel but are made by a company called "Stout Stuff" , Bentonville , AR. 72712 . But wait...then I saw something else on the label ,
I saw the fine print on the tiny tag on the bottom.... "made in China " . That sucks rocks !
They were only $7.99 but I wouldn't have bought them if I had realized they were China made .
Were 50 cal. ammo cans made out of aluminum ... all of mine , even the USGI , have all been steel ???
Gary

dunno

I have a bunch of GI cans from back in the day when they were affordable.

Nowadays I use the plastic variety, and catch them on sale for $3.99 at Harbor Freight. No gasket, not as durable, but for controlled storage then seem to work fine.

Back