Ammo advice needed for savage 11 fcns .243 win

cltinseattle

Inactive
I bought a Savage Model 11 FCNS in .243 Win, mounted a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 scope on it, now it's time to take it to the range. This is the Savage .243 with the Accustock and Accutrigger. I do not handload so I depend on factory ammo. Does anyone out there have any experience with this rifle and what kind of ammo it likes best for accuracy at 100 yards? My local shooting range only goes out to 100 yards. I can get to a 300 yard range if I drive an hour and a half but I don't see me doing that when I have a 100 yard range 20 minutes away. Before I spend buckets of money on ammo I would really appreciate hearing from anyone out there who has experience with this rifle. THANKS GUYS and GALS!

Every rifle is a little different, what my rifle likes your rifle may not. I'd start with the cheapest ammunition you can buy locally and work my way up in price. Remington, Federal, and Winchester have a standard factory load with 100 grain bullets for around $20 a box, that is what I would start with. If it likes one of those brands look for it online to buy in larger quantities. Most factory ammunition should soot reasonably well out of your rifle.

I have one and I haven't been able to get light bullets to shoot in that rifle. However, 100 grain bullets shine, it shoots them like laser beams. However, that little lightweight barrel doesn't like heat. If you start shooting it too quickly, you can watch the bullets march up the page in a straight line.

Of course, all rifles are different. Go buy some ammo and shoot it. I don't use factory ammo, but one friend of mine tells me that his .243 loves Federal Fusion 95 grain ammo. Don't worry so much about the longer ranges. A good 100 yard range will tell you what you want to know and will let you get familiar with the rifle.

Very good advice guys.

+1 on every rifle being different and sometimes the cheap stuff shoots great.

X1000 on keeping the barrel cool. That is the biggest mistake I see lots of people make. A rifle sighted in with a hot barrel will be off when that Buck walks out and your barrel is cold. On my 110 in 30-06, I actually open the bolt and let it cool between shots. In return, she rewards me with little bitty groups. If it gets hot, it starts walking.

My .243 shoots Hornady Superformance 95gr. SST and Federal Premium with 85gr. Sierra GK both pretty equally. I handload so I rarely shoot factory ammo but those did very well.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Back