Ammo advice for new AR-15 owner

cwalker3

Well, after reading all of the replies to my post about whether or not to get an ar, ak, or mini-14, I finally decide on the AR-15. Purchased a new Bushmaster Shorty AK carbine today. Now I'm just waiting for the powers that be in the Republik of Maryland to o.k. my purchase.
In the meantime, I'm looking to purchase some ammunition. I checked out a few web sites and found Georgia Arms to have relatively inexpensive ammo ($165/1000 rds). Does anyone have any experience with ammo from this site? If not, what suggestions does anyone have?
By the way, thanks alot for all of the replies to my original post. They were a big help in helping to make a decision.

Every time Georgia Arms comes to town for the gun show I buy a few hundred, no complaints yet. Not the most accurate but damn good stuff for the money.

I'm also a new B.M. Shorty owner.I got it yesterday.I shot 40 rounds of ammo from UMC and 100 rounds of PMC.The PMC made a big flash compared to the UMC. Could this PMC ammo be harmful to my rifle?
My nephews were very surprized by the big muzzle flash.They have grown up shooting their Dad's Colt SP1 and wanted to know where the flash suppressor was?Is it illegal to have a flash supperssor put on?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Could this PMC ammo be harmful to my rifle?
Is it illegal to have a flash supperssor put on? [/quote]

The flash shouldn't harm your rifle... all it is is a different type of power (slower burning) being used that isn't completly burning before the bullet leaves the barrel.

Flash Suppressor is a no no... muzzle break/compensator is OK. Some of these also reduce flash.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Natchez, 800-251-7839, is selling Sellier & Bellot .223 for $2.89 per box, plus shipping and handling. That is about $160 delivered for 1,000 rounds.

A friend of mine attends Tactical Rifle classes a great deal and he uses the Georgia Arms ammo almost exclusively and the times I have been with him, he suffers no malfunction of any kind. I am sure there are other good sources out there, but GA is a good one.

Midway USA has been offering 1,000 rpunds of Winchester commercial .223 for $209. In december they were paying the shipping costs.

Are you going to reload? If not the I'd suggest Wolf 162 grn. It's in steel cases, other than that it's pretty good stuff. Gulf Coast has it for $129. + shipping. The 55 grn. is the same cost.

Georgia arms ammo is fine ammo, and you shouldn't have problems with it... As for PMC ammo, from what I understand, it does not have a flash retardent in the powder, so that is why you see such a large muzzle flash. I know that PMC .223 ammo is underloaded (compared to military .223 loadings). Federal American Eagle is probably the best commercial/civilian 55 gr. load as it is loaded to full pressure/max velocity. PMC powder is also dirty, so things get fouled up faster with it...

I had real good luck with the Black Hills 68gr jhp "match" re-mfg ammo. (I have heard others who have not been happy with their FMJ stuff) anyway, it is MOA or close there too, and was fairly cheep back when I bought it.

I have shot several thousand of Georgia Arms' .223. Accurate enough for most purposes and has never failed to go bang. I can recommend it.

John Francis

Try several different types to see how your rifle functions. I suggest getting some Russian, Federal AME, South African, Winchester Q3131 in small amounts. Later you might try some Coles IMI 5.56 nato ammo.

Back