American Rifleman

Got the latest issue in the mail yesterday and I'm happy with the overall improvement the magazine has seen over the past half year. Recent articles covered cyrogenically treated barrels and moly-coated bullets. Rob's question about Vector arms was answered with a writeup on their closed slide version of the Beretta 92. This issue has Bruce Canfield's article on the sniper version of the M1 Garand, the Fan Belt Inspector (FBI) single stack 1911, the new 300 Remington Ultra Mag cartridge, U.S. military cartridges of this century, shotguns for turkeyhunting as well as a review of the new Colt Cowboy revolver. In short, the American Rifleman is becoming readable again. Hopefully, this proves to be the trend for the NRA flagship magazine.

For some obscure reason (which i have to take up with them) NRA stopped sending me the 'Rifleman' and send me the 'Guardian' instead - duplicate! i hadnt bothered to correct them as the two mags seemed to cover much the same ground, but will do so now - thx 4v50!
It had been tending to 'preach to the choir' a bit lately 'tho ive always found something useful in it.

------------------
Member NRA (life), SASS (life 'El Chimango Pete' #20037), Muzzle Loaders, other clubs in Argentina. Firearms Instructor
On ICQ "Buzzard-Pete"

Gary; you forgot the excellent articles on the latest non-lead shot types, and 'A Primer on Primers,' which I found excellent.

Heck, I read it every month, and always find several interesting things. Walt

NRA Life Member since 1972

Gary, Walt, et al,

When I first joined the NRA at age 14 in 1964 the Amercian Rifleman was the premier gun magazine.

The technical articles were always the best anywhere, the gun tests and equipment evaluations were straight forward, honest assessments of the equipment.

The magazines in the field became slicker and the American Rifleman had become a repititive plea for contributions. The quality of the American Rifleman seemed to me to have declined. The 2d Amendment is important, and so is fund raising, but I belong to this organization because of guns.

I felt that the magazine had become too heavily weighted to the political.

Gary, I too find the most recent issue to be reminiscent of that 1964 standard. (Brings to mind the pre '64 Model seventy).

Maybe we should drop them a note, each of us, letting them know that we noticed and approve of the refound true "gun nut" point of view in the article mix.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

Back