American-Made Custom Flintlock Pistol

DPris

Member Emeritus
Anybody have personal experience with a high-quality American maker?
Any recommendations?
Denis

Style is open, at this point.

Don't see any pistols on GRRW site, it won't allow me to send an email. May call him later.

Thanks so far, anybody else?
Denis

If you want high quality, be prepared to pay for it.

The Contemporary Long Rifle Association has a rather lengthy list of makers- click on the names, some of them have web sites to go to: http://longrifle.com/artisans/artisanlist.asp. The items for sale section also has pistols from time to time.

Track of the Wolf frequently has custom pistols for sale, new and used: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/485 They currently have a Glen Jones .50 caliber for sale, I used to own a Lancaster rifle made by him, craftsmanship is top notch.

Caywood makes a superb mid 18th Century French pistol. It is extremely light and well balanced, just like the originals. Most reproductions have way too much wood on them and overly thick barrels.: http://www.caywoodguns.com/french-type--c---d--pistols.html

Thanks again.

I do expect to pay for quality.

Ya get a bit older in life & sometimes tired of certain mass-production quality levels. :)
Denis

I too, am interested in a custom caplock or firelock from an American maker. I've been a bit disappointed with even Pedersoli's quality level, and their designs stray far from true 18th-19th century weapons.

thank you Hawg
right now im a year out and thats if i can get this full scale 12lb mountain howitzer out of my shop in the next couple weeks.
Most everyone I know that builds full customs are at least that far though so I don’t feel that bad I guess .

First I would recommend deciding what it is you want for a pistol .
You wanting just a shooter or something more …..
Rifled or smooth ?
Then decide what type of pistol something like a trade pistol , maybe a Kentucky or something more in the lines of a LePage type dueler .
Lots of different pistols out there to chose from with lots of different levels .
If your looking for something basic then there would be many choices as far as builders.
You could even go full custom or semi custom .very good choices IMO would be , in to certian order Mike brooks , Steve Zihn , Jim Kimbler, Dan Phariss, David Rase just to name a few .
If your pockets are deep and you want the very best from one of the top if not the top maker here in the US then I would go with Jerry Huddleston. , if you can get him to do it LOL . He is mostly doing very high end museum work or very rare pieces now days though. However you just never know what that old codger will take on

Thanks guys, at this point I'm looking for images to decide on a style or configuration, after that I'll get into the mundane stuff of what I want on it & how much I want to pay. :)

Looking for a solid shooter in a style that appeals to my eyeball, not much "fancy" needed.

Also, I fully understand the nature of custom work, but it'll have to be less than a two-year wait.
I'm at the age & stage where if it's gonna take two years to get something in hand, I may not even be alive by then. :)
Denis

These run around 1400

dae5a483d1827549ab92a6c418ffbb5d.jpg

Ain't it tho and about 1,399.99 more than I would pay for it but it will shoot, ain't no doubt about it.:D:D

I'm sorry but that's quite the abortion! I'm sure it's a good, accurate gun but seriously? What's next, a muzzleloading Glock? :confused:

Sure hope it shoots better than it looks....

It does. It can't possibly shoot any worse. :D Seriously tho it's a hella accurate competition pistol. Not my cup o tea for sure but it will win matches.

Back