American flag over my conputer

cornered rat

Got threatened with termination over having UPS deliver ammo at work (employee handbook doesn't mention it but the supervisor's handbook does). Will try to switch departments.

Have a really bad taste in my mouth since that happened yesterday. The Old Glory is on my desk now, the one reminder of which country I am in.

I am angry. Not so much at the manager covering her ass as at the fact that she feels that supplies for my hobby will threaten my co-workers. You know the story.

CR

Many businesses are not happy about having personal deliveries made at work, as doing so uses company resources for personal business. You had a non-business-related very heavy box filled with explosives (gunpowder & primers) and hazardous material (lead) delivered. For perspecitive: some companies fire people for using ->1<- office-purchased 33-cent stamp for personal mail.

Discreet carry in the office as life insurance is one thing. Having non-business packages delivered to the office, esp. when they may disrupt business (rationally or not), is something else entirely.

I undersdtand that it is their company and they can do as they please. However, they encourage UPS use because it keeps folks from leaving early to get packages elsewhere. They just think that mere sticker "adult signature required: small arms ammo" will scare anyone who sees it. It isn't about resources but rather about them not wanting ammo here. I can understand why, but it has lowered my opinion of the boss to the point where I need to move either within the company or to another job.

I get stuff delivered at work (when UPS decides to deliver it AT ALL, the barstards*) simply because they only deliver during normal business hours. Well, duh, I'm at WORK during normal business hours. Never caught any flak over it, but then, I don't get ammo here either :).

*: I ordered a +5% mag spring 3-pack from Wolff, to be delivered COD. That was on the 14th. I called last Friday, asking if they'd shipped the pack yet. They said yes, and gave me the tracking number. I checked today, and UPS returned it. Without notifying me. F****ers.

they encourage UPS use because it keeps folks from leaving early to get packages elsewhere.

Well, that certainly changes things! If they encourage it, then do so. "You want people to have things shipped here. I needed something _legal_ shipped, so I shipped it. There's no rules against it, and I'm obviously not doing anything illegal, dangerous, or stupid. Next time I'll warn the receptionist so it won't sit out in a customer area. Get a grip."

They have rules against expolosives, firearms and ammo -- but only in the supervisor's handbook....not the employee handbook. Anyhow, I think it is their right to be stupid, just that they killed off any loyalty or desire to work with them that I had before. Anyone hiring for designer/photographer/art director position at a pro or neutral company?
(I miss my previous place of emplyment that way...rifles were OK in the office, for common defense...same for where Michelle works.)

Michelle agreed to handle packages for me. She was outraged at this treatment.

Boys and Girls, etc. It really depends on the business doesn't it?
We only have 85 employees and I receive all of my packages at work, quite often show and tell is in order! BUT I am the plant manager and usually know when to be hanging on the dock. We also accept packages for the hourly employees. The packages are signed for, logged in, and hand delivererd to the employee. This has become a problem in more than one case! I can see why some companys do not allow this.
As far as a discussion about UPS vs DOT I have been fairly well satisfied!
HankL {I must remember to add the L}
ctdonath, please do some research on what you call explosives!

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited September 30, 1999).]

Because co workers will feel threatend?

Post your most recent target... With your web address in bold letters accross the top.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

ctdonath, please do some research on what you call explosives!

_We_ know that, strictly speaking, common ammo is not explosive, and is entirely safe in reasonably knowledgeable hands. We also know that when the primer is hit hard enough, there is what is commonly called (but strictly speaking technically not) an "explosion".

In the hands of a freaked-out anti-gun ignorant power-stressed boss, Murphy's Law dictates that there's a chance that she'll do something mind-bogglingly stupid with it and somehow (remember, idiots are ingenious) set off the contents of a box of ammo.

To boot: the last case of ammo I bought had "explosives" stamped on the side.

If you want to nit-pick, yes, ammo is not an explosive. But for the thread in question, a box full of stuff that goes "boom" when struck may casually be termed an explosive, and will be firmly viewed as such by those ignoramuses running the office in question.

Because "in today's society, guns and ammo are inappropriate at the workplace". Nonwithstanding the (know to the boss) fact that most of the department has gone shooting with me. BTW, yesterday's trip went well, both folks had a great time and they are shopping for arms, having sized up the nasty trends. Probably will get 38 revolver, as the woman has tiny hands and even the 2206 S&W was too big for her to use. They shot a well-maintained (therefore functional) Cobray carbine and liked that--but even that was too big for her to shoulder easily.

Cornered Rat;
Go into your supervisors office and spray her down with gasoline. Use a garden variety fire extinquiser filled with gasoline and spray her up real good. Then, with a BIC lighter in your hand, explain to her how no one needs a firearm to commit muder. Explain to her how no one needs a firearm to commit mass murder. Explain to her how it is is the mind of the individual that is the determining factor!

[This message has been edited by Frank Haertlein (edited October 01, 1999).]

Uhhh, Frank, I think you're getting a bit carried away there. A SuperSoaker full of 93 octane would do nicely*. After all, nobody "needs" a fire extinguisher full of gas...

Hey, when I was doing WWII reenactment, some of the Germans had rigged up an old flamethrower to spray water...might get the point across.

*The above comments are in jest. Anyone who takes them seriously should have their head examined. Soon. ;)

CR, I'd have UPS ship a package a week until they fire you. Then, use your severance pay to sue them.

If it's not in your employee handbook, you didn't agree to it. And the idea of the "supervisor's handbook" applying to people who never had a chance to read it, well, that just rubs me the wrong way. Secret rules are for the KGB and their ilk, not for American citizens.

CR, I'm in a different country and live by different rules. That notwithstanding and welcoming contrary views, I am forced to say I am damn proud to have your acquaintance, remote though it may be.

Ya done good.

Ok. Funny story time. Has to do with UPS, and with deliveries at work, so it’s slightly relevant to the thread.

I used to work for a police department. An officer there got the chief to sign a letter authorizing his purchase of a Glock for duty use, so he could get the law enforcement price.

Gun was delivered by UPS, and signed for by the receptionist at city hall. Officer never received gun. Building was searched high and low, theft report filed.

Several months later, unopened package containing Glock is found in a shed behind the city hall building. The shed is used to store soccer balls and such for the soccer fields at city hall. People (including children) had been in and out of this shed without knowing that it contained (gasp!) a gun.

No one knows how it got into the shed.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Um... dousing people with gas...
Lets not go there. I am sure there are better ways to grab somebodies attention and make a clear case.

Like anything legally showing AMMO is NOT an Explosive by state law... Or something like that.

Gas and a Bic? Effective... but you'll have a very poor working relationship from then on.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Back