American designed autoloaders

SPEMack618

So, I'm wanting to branch out my collection some.

I have a Winchester 1400, Remington Sportsman 58, Remington 1100, and a Belgium Browning A-5.

Are there any other American designed autoloaders I should have in my collection?

I like guns from the turn of the 20th century up to the mid-1970s, which good bluing and wooden stocks.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, you have a lot left to work with.

Winchester 1911, the "Widowmaker."
Winchester Model 40, so bad they recalled and replaced as many as they could with Model 12 pumps.

Remington Model 11, the A5 design but American made.
Remington Model 11-48, recoil operated "fastback" style.
Remington Model 878, first "self compensating" gas operated auto.

High Standard Supermatic, also sold as J.C. Higgins and other store brands.

Savage 755A, long recoil but without the sharp hump of the A5.

There are probably others, but these will keep you looking for a while.

Of all the possibilities, I would start with a Super X 1, a Remington 11, and a Remington 11-48. Up until the 1100 in 1963, all the gas guns had issues of one kind or another. The Super X 1 was the first good semi auto Winchester ever made after they passed on licensing the Auto 5. The 11-48 was the last recoil action introduced, along with the Franchi 48. In the later years up to today there are too many to count.

They are not easy to find, but your collection really should include the J.C. Higgins Model 60, made for Sears by High Standard starting in 1956, and the first gas-operated semi-auto shotgun in the world as far as I know.

Jim

Thanks for the input guys!

I definitely look into the Winchester SX-1 to even out the Winchester and Remington samples.

And I'll also look out for a High Standard/J.C. Higgins gun, as well.

The auto shotguns that an American middle class or lower class working man would have owned during that time frame interests me to no end.

My Sportsman 58 belonged to my Maternal Grandfather and Pops said that Granddaddy spent an inordinate amount of time looking for the "best" auto-loader to take afield.

Many people love the feel of the 58 even over the 1100, but the gas system was it's Achilles' heel. Got dirty fast with dirty loads, and harder to clean, and the connection between the piston and the action bars is known to fail (it can be fixed, and better than new even). The receiver is said to be prone to cracking with heavy loads, but I have only seen two.
I would not classify the High Standard as a successful design. High Standard made some of the best pumps and worst semi autos in history.

Granddaddy's Sportsman 58 still serves admirably as an occasional informal skeet or trap gun, and I bagged my first duck with it, on my first duck hunt, but the lack of sling mounts led to it's prompt retirement from waterfowling.

My 1100 is the little sister/girlfriend gun, being my sole 20 gauge, so it has taken turkeys, dove, shot at some ducks, plenty of clays, and spent a year tucked under my little sisters bed at college loaded with buckshot.

but the lack of sling mounts led to it's prompt retirement from waterfowling.

Why? Just get a gunslip that has a sling on it - keeps the gun cleaner (and if a waterproof one) drier while still allowing both hands to be used for dekes, etc.

Auto

How about the Winchester model 59? I have one. It is my favorite upland gun and has given me a 25 straight in ATA Trap.
THE WINCHESTER 59, by Dave McCracken

About the time the DeSoto went out of production, Winchester came out with a Model 50 autoloader. A blowback or recoil operated action of innovative design, the 50 made little headway against the tide of A-5s and Remington 11s, 11-48s and 1100s, and disappeared from the scene to be replaced by the legendary X-1. The design included a floating chamber conceived by Marsh Williams, the moonshiner and designer of the M1 carbine.

Before all that, the folks at Winchester brought out a superb upland shotgun based on the 50 and called it the Model 59. It had a few brand new ideas and features. That proved to be both blessing and curse.

First and foremost, it had fiber wrapped around a steel barrel liner and epoxied to produce a strong, straight barrel of much less weight than the usual barrels. One sees this method on rifle barrels now,but still not on shotguns. A shame...

Second, some of those barrels were threaded for tubes that contained various degrees of choke. While the first choke tube patent in the US was granted before the Civil War, no widely available shotgun was offered with tubes until the 59. Now, few new shotguns are offered without them.

The result of the barrel and the lightweight design was a very light shotgun, on the order of 6 lbs and sometimes less. Many were snapped up by grouse hunters in New England, whose hunting grounds mostly occur on a slant. Grouse hunters need good legs and light shotguns, the 59 solved half of it.

Among others, Frank Woolner got his hands on one and fell in love. After some modification, his weighed even less than usual and killed grouse very well. Since Frank was a widely read writer, the 59 got some good ink and attention. We can still run across some bright eyed oldsters with 59s they used since JFK was president and happy they are with them.

Last edited:
A lot of people shot Winchester 59s and did not like them, including me. They were quite whippy with the light front end and non ribbed barrel, and they and the model 50 had some issues, but it has been so long now I cannot remember the specifics. I know I have seen several with fuzzy barrels. No good shotgun just faded away without being driven out by costs or better competition. The Super X1 was too pricey.

Whippy

re: model 59....yes, the different COG does take some getting used to. As to whippy, I guess so though I prefer to think of it as lively, responsive. Dave McCracken likened the feel to a SXS. I concur.
As far as the OP is concerned, the 59 is American designed, was (iirc) the first readily available gun to offer removeable choke tubes, and - despite its critics (no offense meant) - is considered by many to have been ahead of its time.
Good point, though, about "fading away". I wonder if at least some of that is akin to the lingering distrust that some shooters have toward polymer guns.
Twarn't no steel barrel.
Pete

Last edited:
Why? Just get a gunslip that has a sling on it - keeps the gun cleaner (and if a waterproof one) drier while still allowing both hands to be used for dekes, etc.

At the time, I didn't have an appropriate gun bag and was having a dickens of the time trying to fin 2 3/4" steel shells for the gun, and being 15/16 at the time, that precluded online shopping. Also, by the time the next duck season had rolled around, I had made Eagle Scout and Pops bought me a Benelli Super Black Eagle, which I had no hesitation about dragging through a swamp.

The Model 59 intrigues me, having never heard of it before, but Dave knew his stuff, so that write up alone merits a look.

The High Standard is near the top of the "look around for list" simply because I already have Browning, Winchester, and Remington auto loaders. Along with Ithaca and Mossberg pumps.

For a complete collection of "American designed autoloaders" you would be remiss by not including the short-recoil, Browning Double Auto; designed by Browning's son, Val. I've had a Double Auto since I bought one new in 1961 and it continues to be one of my favorite upland guns. They came in different colors and configurations but only in 12 gauge.

Back