American Browning A5 weak primer strike

wgalvinized

Inactive
I have a 1940's Browning Auto 5 in 12ga. This is the "American Browning" aka a Brownington. Made by Remington during WWII but labeled as a Browning. S/N begins with a B.

Problem 1: Weak primer strikes. The firing pin slightly dents the primer and as a result it does not ignite.

Problem 2: No notch cut out in the ejector port. So, I cannot remove the bolt locking lug pin. I have read where some people say it can be removed out the left side by pushing with a very small pin from the right. However, there appears to me zero gap tolerances so I cannot fit anything in there to push out the pin. If there is a way to remove the bolt please advise. Until then I cannot determine if the problem is in the bolt / firing pin.

I disassembled the gun except the bolt. I gave it a thorough cleaning with action cleaner. During disassembly I notice the mainspring screw was not as snug as possible. Gave it 1 - 1 1/2 half turns to tighten it down. Wondering if this is my problem?

Reassembled and dry firing seems slightly better but not as crisp as it I expect or hear in my other Auto 5's.

Your thoughts to my weak primer strike problem?

Back