Ambidextrous Controls

arquebus357

First off, let me say that I like a safety on my semi-autos... sorry. My son recently absconded with my Ruger American Compact. No great loss. While it was a good shooter I never got used to the steam punk looks. I remembered the problem I originally had with the huge ambi safety on the right side. It liked to get caught up in clothing sticking way out from the frame like that. I cut it off. I know, I know, I ruined what, a $150 gun?

Looking for a replacement at the world's biggest gun store (adventure outdoors Smyrna GA :)) I came across a neat little Taurus TH9c. I was delighted to see that it didn't have the ambidextrous controls found on the full sized model. That was a big plus for me so I bought it. (it does have a magazine availability problem though)

Now, tell me how stupid I am, as a right handed person, not being attracted to semi-autos with ambidextrous controls. ( I do like the ambi mag release though) Gun reviewers seem to think ambi controls are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Sorry to talk about cheap guns here.

I'm a lefty, and prefer to adapt to "right handed" guns, if possible.

Sometimes, a given control just has to be as handy as possible, such as the thumb safety on an auto pistol, but if I can adapt, such as using my trigger finger on the safety of an AR, I'll make due without "bilateral" controls.

Ideally, truly ambi controls, such as the safety on a Mossberg shotgun or M1/M14, is the way to go.

You’re not stupid. Some ambi control solutions end up snagging, or generally adding unnecessary thickness making the firearm harder to conceal. I love my cz p07, but could do without the ambi de cocker (or safety if you prefer it). It doesn’t add too much, as it’s pretty low profile on both sides, but still is the thickest part of the firearm by nearly 1/10th of an inch. I had a Jericho the had an ambi slide safety/de cocker on the slide. That thing was like bat wings I hated it.

I can understand the value of ambi controls in a duty weapon chosen for a very large organization, ala the military or NYC police. Otherwise, I wouldn’t consider it unless I was left handed.

Since non ambi controls cater to right handed people and you are a right handed person, I don't think it stupid at all that you don't like ambi controls. I don't like the bulk they add either. I am also right handed....and ok with cheap guns(some, anyway).

Ambi controls are not a factor at my house - my wife and I are both right-handed. At my daughter's house, with her being left handed and her husband right handed, they get consideration for home defense firearms. For carry, reversible controls are nice for our sinistromanual colleagues.

I do like ambi mag releases. When it comes to safeties it really is individual gun dependent. It depends on the firing system as well as the unique trigger on that particular handgun. While I might want a safety on a handgun that I open carry or that has a super light trigger with supper short travel I might not want a safety on the same make and model but a pound or two heavier trigger with longer travel.

When it comes to decockers I tend to prefer ambi ones but have no issue if it is only on one side or even simply not there as on a 1911, HP or revolver.

I'm a lefty and thus give weight to ambi controls when gun shopping. Recently I broke my left wrist and arm making ambi even better for me.

As a lefty, it seems to me that there are darned few ambidextrous guns. You righties have plenty to choose from that only have a safety on the left side, the slide stop on the left side side, the mag release on the left side, aftermarket grips and stocks that don't work at all for lefties, etc., etc.

So, please, don't begrudge us southpaws the few guns that actually work for us without too many compromises. You've got plenty of others to pick from.

I’m an incurable lefty and found it is easier to adapt to go with right hand controls. Conversely, a few semis have left-oriented controls which also work for me fine.
I have 1 pistol where the safety is on the right but in an awkward position for my finger dimensions and find it easier to leave the safety off or reach and flip it off with my left index finger.
Give me the gun, I can shoot equally well left brained or right brained.
I expect the other lefty’s shoot well either way also.

Re: Sig P220. I'm a lefty and I kept the magazine release for the right thumb. I tried it on the left side, but found it easier to use the index finger to drop the magazine. I used the forefinger to decock too.

I dislike handguns with right thumb operated safety only. At least with the Sig I can decock and not mess with it.

I'm right handed so most of what is produced these days suits me for strong hand or two-handed use, but I will say that I'm not a fan of ambi-safeties. With the OWB holsters that I use, several times over the years, I have found the safety has been somehow disengaged by my cover garment. A more positive lock/detent would cure this, but it does happen...just another reason not to use one with AIWB rigs. Rod

Need extra mags? Call Taurus!! :)
Lots of times things not quite out to the public on webpages can be gotten from the Helpdesk!

Altho, it being a 9mm 13-rd mag...Wonder if it uses the same mags as the PT24/7 Pro-C compact?
which would mean that it would also allow the 17-rd mags as well...
and there's Scads of those on the market!

To me it depends on the specific gun. My PPQ M1 with the paddle magazine release (which I love, it's great once you get used to it) and ambi slide release are no problem.
I have a SA 1911 Loaded Ultra Compact (basically a fancy officers model) with ambi
safety. In the holster I have had the right side thumb safety bump up against things and
deactivate by itself.
Not good. Some ambi set ups you'll never notice. Some are a problem. Always best too shoot or at least handle a gun before buying.

Back