Am I the Only One....

Nightcrawler

...who LIKES the way the Ruger Super Redhawk looks? I mean, sure, it doesn't have the traditional lines of a Redhawk, S&W Model 29, or a Colt Anaconda, but I think it looks, well, not pretty, but cool, in the same way I think the A-10 Thunderbolt II looks cool....

Definetely the UGLIEST firearm I own. As a matter a fact I think that my 44 Mag SRH is so ugly I had to go out and get its twin in .454 Casull. Maybe I'll even go for triplets and get the SRH .480 Ruger.

You know, Ruger designers puzzle the crap out of me. The Ruger Bisley Vaquero is one of the most beautiful handguns ever made, the Blackhawks are very good-looking guns, and the Single Sixes are adorable.

The Ruger autos, and almost all their DA revolvers, are a stark contrast to the above: they're plug ugly. They're all good and solid handguns, but it's almost like the designers sat down and said, "Let's make 'em as visually unappealing as possible."

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That's just my personal taste and by no means to be taken as the apex of wisdom...

I've always liked the way a Super Redhawk looks. I would just rather schlep around it's skinnier little brother. Or better yet, a Blackhawk.

One thing though

...why did they make a SUPER Redhawk in .44 Magnum? According to the Ruger catalog in my lap, the stainless models with 7 1/2" barrels are the same length, weigh the same, and cost the same. What is the point of the Super Redhawk 44, if it offers no advantage over the Redhawk? Just wondering, I guess. Ruger ought to make a Redhawk in .45ACP/.45 Super, and a Super Redhawk in .45ACP/.45 Super/ .45 Win Mag/ .460 Rowland.

Of course, I think Taurus should make a .45ACP 5-shot snubby, as well as a 10mm/.40 version, and even a 9x19 version. They'd make good backups to folks carrying autoloaders in those calibers.

I've got a SBH and love it! 10 1/2 " bbl. too. Love the classic, no nonsense lines. The SRH, though, for some reason looks like a piece of plumbing; the way the barrel meets the frame. However, I must admit - it freakin' grows on you. One of these days I might regard it differently and go buy one. A FFL friend has a scope mounted SRH for hunting and wouldn't trade it for any other.

Nightcrawler, you'd be correct except for one little detail:

Garrett.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

Look at the specs on that 330 monster. In terms of both ft/lbs and practical effects, I'd bet it's every bit as effective as the 480 if not moreso. Sure, the 454 is more potent but can most people handle the recoil?

As a bonus, with the .44 you get a wide variety of "lesser loads" all the way down to .44Spls with recoil nearly undetectable in a beast like the SRH.

For the non-handloader, Garrett has made the .44Mag SRH the best value in a hunting DA wheelgun.

Jim

Nightcrawler-

I believe that the Super Redhawk comes with mounts and the rings for a scope, whereas the Redhawk does not.

I just started thinking about getting one of them supers in .44 in 7 1/2".

Sick thought...

What if you took the SRH, did an aluminum frame and TI cylinder, and crammed...what, 8 to maybe even 10 cylinder bores worth of 9mm Para? With moonclips? And a 3" to 4" barrel, and smaller grips?

Wouldn't that make a wacky CCW gun!?

I'd snatch one up!!!

:D

Jim

I really like the 7 1/2" SRH in 44 Mag. So much so that I recently purchased one. It looks just like the big, tough gun that it is. That's exactly what I wanted when I bought it. A no nonsense gun that can handle just about any sane load that can be put into it. Not only that, but it's very accurate too. :) SamC

Back