Am I the only one that actually liked the S&W Bodyguard 38?

Pops1085

After reading around over the past few years I've come to the conclusion that many people have some serious distain for one of the more recent S&W revolvers. I'm not even sure they still make it... What gives? I was fairly new to revolvers when I was loaned one but it had a good trigger, fit my hand well, and a surprisingly light recoil. I only had the gun for about a month before I got my current carry gun back but I liked it so much that I ended up buying a 642 in the hopes of recreating my experience. Alas, I think that the 642 is a lot harsher in the hands. Not sure why... Anyways, why all the hate?

Personally, I don't "hate" the Smith 38 Bodyguard . . . I just didn't care for it. A number of years ago when I was looking for a snub, I took a serious look at it and then also looked at the Ruger LCR. I ended up going with the LCR as it just felt better in my hand. A couple of years later, I traded in the LCR and got a S & W Model 36 snub J frame. I carry that often and now switch off between that and my 9mm Shield.

I don't think the Bodyguard is a bad revolver . . but it boils down to what feels good and fits the hand well . . . and everyone is different. If you like yours, I say more power to you. Shoot it and enjoy it! :)

I liked the Bodyguard. I think the problem is the cylinder release and high price compared to the other J frames.

The Bodyguard is still made as the model 638, I believe.
Original model 38s used grips that came up higher on the gun's frame. These made the recoil more manageable. Early model 42 and 40 Centennials also used these grips. Modern S&Ws all use standard J frame grips.

It appears to still be in production. It is part of the M&P line. In my VERY humble opinion, the cylinder release is definitely a major reason that it did not become more popular. It's not that it is bad. It's just that it is so different from every other J-frame out there, that anybody who had been shooting revolvers for a significant amount of time was probably reluctant to have to train with a new style of cylinder release when the 442/642 can be easily found for less money.

One of the reasons firearms tend to be made with very similar ergonomics across brands is because shooters seem to want some amount of consistency in operation between similar platforms. How likely would it be for a new semi-auto to become popular if it required a new motion to drop a mag? It could happen if the gun is really great, but that would be a big handicap to its success.

I think it was largely the same thing here. Most people were very used to the cylinder releases on standard S&W, Colt, Ruger, Charter, Taurus, Rossi, Etc, Etc. revolvers and did not care to train new muscle memory for reloads. So while it may be the best shooting small frame, lightweight, 38 snub for some, unless they are brand new to revolvers they are more likely to choose a model that is more similar in feel and operation to those they have used before.

I myself was thinking about trying the bodyguard when I decided I wanted something newer/more powerful than my older model 36 that was not rated for +P ammo. In the end, I nixed both the bodyguard and the LCR in favor of a 44 special. YMMV

IMHO, two types of "bodyguard" are being discussed here.

S&W has recycled the term for the currently produced polymer & steel M&P Bodyguard although it looks nothing like its namesake.

The original bodyguard, the "camelback" model 38 and more recent models 438 and 638 are no longer in production.

My apologies. Bill is, as usual, correct. The 638, while not billed as a bodyguard, is still in S&W's catalog.

I own one each of M38 and M438 and think they're great. I have no experience with the new M&P model but am willing to believe it represents a step forward.

My 1973 issue Model 38:
attachment.php

That's 16.4 oz fully loaded with vintage silvertip .38s.

Last edited:
I have a airlite and love it. My edc is either my glock 26 or 19. But I use my airlite as a backup sometimes if I need to dress up. Love the kick it has. Don't know why. I just do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep, the older aluminum-framed M38 Bodyguard hasn't been made for quite a few years.

As was previously said, they've made the replacement M638 Bodyguard for quite a while, as well as the stainless M649, although the current 649 is chambered in .357 Magnum. The previous, slightly smaller one, was based on the original M49 blued Bodyguard.

I have one of the older M649's (.38 Spl only), and it's a dandy little snub. I've often thought about adding an aluminum M638 to my collection, but I've already got the aluminum-frames covered fairly well (a pair of 642-1's, a pair of M&P 340's and a M37-2DAO).

The M&P Bodyguard .38 is ... odd. I tried one on our range one afternoon (belonged to the wife of another instructor) and I decided I had no desire to ever own one.

I very much want a blued Humpback (as I've always called them) to accompany my 042 Centennial, but I've never found one at a decent price/condition.

Tubbs in Miami Vice carried a brace of Model 38s in some episodes.

Smith and wesson m&p 38 special bodyguard

I have the new version of the bodyguard and I like it.
I'm right handed and if something was to happen to my strong side, well I would not have the issue of opening the cylinder with my left hand.
As far as the laser I can activate it with my right thumb as I'm drawing it.
I am using the laser to master point shooting as well so I won't have to rely on it.
I don't think anything is perfect and you need to train and become familiar with whatever you use.
And if you do have to draw on a bad guy and you do put the laser on them, that would be very intimidating for most and could cause them to back down.
I wasn't sure about the grips at first but found out they are good, the recoil on this gun is better than on the 642!
It is a good shooter, maybe a little different looking than their regular j frames but it will grow on you, it's not that much different.
It's accurate to!

S&W Bodyguard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaPUemCcXg

I have been carrying .38 S&W snubs for over 40 years. The Model 638 was my most recent carry until the new Bodyguard came out.

My original reason for buying the Bodyguard was to have a less-expensive (then my M638 w/ CT laser) lightweight, laser equipped .38 revolver that I could leave in the car during the numerous times that I am in a "gun free zone."

It turns out that my Bodyguard is accurate, dependable and easy to use.

Mark

I bought the new BG-38 revolver with the plastic frame and laser. I liked it a lot, but after a few hundred rounds in the first months I had it, it shot loose and started misfiring. I sent it back. They fixed it in good time. No charge.

After another couple months and a few hundred rounds, it got loose again.

I traded it for a 637. After a short while, I missed the laser so I bought CT grips. Love it now, carry it a lot.

I figured out why it loosened up.

This is the back of the cylinder, recoil is supportyed by the star that turns the cylinder.

DSCN4220-L.jpg

This rests on the recoil shield with very little area.

DSCN4217-XL.jpg

You can see where it dug into the aluminum recoil shield. That is all the support it gets, those two little spots on top right and left of the star that rotates the cylinder.

David

wow, that new bodyguard looks to have a better lock up mechanism than standard revolvers. no single hand to rotate and lock the cylinder with the bolt. instead it has a complete ratchet for rotation.

Lockup? That entire center star is spring loaded. When the cylinder is closed, it moves back then the cylinder is turned to catch in the drive.

No support for the cylinder.

David

Cylinder release was the issue for me, felt kind of flimsy and awkward

just curious as to how it feels flimsy and awkward as the release is the same as all the S&W revolvers out there:confused:

Back