Am I screwed?

RebBacchus

Inactive
Somehow, I have lost both screws that attach the pump slide on my old style Winchester model 12 Featherweight. I talked to one gunsmith and was told he would have to make one on his lathe. You don't want to know what he was going to charge. Am I screwed or can I find two somewhere?

Thanks!

Frankly, McBrides in Austin is the only place I've looked. I love the links, I just need to find out if that's the "old" model 12 or the new one. I do wish Winchester had not brought out a new gun and giving it the same name as the old gun, since they are NOT the same. Try to find someone with an original who would trade for a new model in the same condition … ain't gonna happen.

Thanks again, I'll get in touch with these folks and see if they have what I need.

Numrich and Winchester Bob both get theirs from Wisner's. Good parts, well made. The folks at Jack First also make screws and such for older guns.

For reproduction Winchester parts, I always check Wisner's first. Though my experience with their parts is limited, what I have gotten from them has been far superior to other suppliers.

And, they do list exactly what you need, for $4 apiece: Wisner's Win M12/1897.

If Wisner's is a no-go, then I work through everyone else.

I have no clue where you are located, if I was looking for gun parts I would drive to Irving, Texas and visit Jeff Lee. He is open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

F. Guffey

Didn't see them!

My model 12 has two screws that hold part 28 to the body.

PS

I can agree about the value of grammar, however, proper spelling simply shows a lack of imagination!

Thanks All I see what I need, it will be great to be able to really use it again. Although not able to fire 3-5 aimed shots as well as my Remington 1100, the old model 12 could get off the same number of shots as my Remington 1100 in less time.

Part 27 looks like what my 1100 uses, but…

My 12 has two screws that go through it one on either side.

PS
I do admire proper grammar, my wife taught it for over thirty years, I just wish my written grammar matched my spoken

Again, I am sure you are correct. My model 12 serial number suggest it was made in 1937. Then there are my Remington model 11s, one is called an Auto Loader, it was made before 1911. I do not have any doubt Jeff Lee has the parts for your shotgun. I will call him.

F. Guffey

Where can you find the serial number linked…

To the date of manufacturing? My serial number is 1823340F. I think it was fairly new when my wife' uncle willed it to her father in 1965. He never shot it and sold it to me for $100 in 1975. I'm told her uncle didn't use it much because of the recoil. It does have a kick which is why I bought the 1100 to shoot clays and dove. I've been told the main difference between mine and the newer ones is that I can hold the trigger down and fire from the pumping action. I do know that's a great way to burn rounds. It's part of the reason I started reloading.

I don't know if this will load the pic, but it is copyright 2013-2015 from Shotgun World and the poster, climac, in the forum.

The photo is showing the difference between a Mod. 12 Featherweight and a regular Mod. 12. The featherweight is sort of similar to a Mod. 25, but has differences, such as at the front of the magazine tube, and of course, the forearm.

12-vs-featherweight.jpg

This link shows a few more photos of one, and you'll notice how the receiver is milled where the action rod goes in on the LH front side.

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/winchester-model-12-featherweight-new-price.224776/

This is mine

There was never any doubt in my mind as to which mom I had, since, as you might be able to see, it's stamped on the barrel. I did not know that the modern model 12 did not have screws on the slide but as you can see from this picture mine has A hole for the screw, but no screw I am placing the order for those screws now. Thank you all for all of your help.

PS

I Just noticed the rust, it looks MUCH worse in the photo, and will be gone tonight when I have time to finish cleaning it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 25
Model 12s don't have screws holding the forearm on, but model 97s do.
As mentioned by Dixie, Model 12 Featherweights and Model 25s use screws on the fore-end.

(And if you have to disassemble one that has never had the screws out... be patient and careful. They seize up tight.:eek:)

Back