Am I expecting too much?

Nightcrawler

I got to handle a military M9 9mm pistol last month. For those that don't know, that's a Beretta 92. It feels nice in the hand, and has a saftey lever that drops the hammer. Leaving the lever down makes the pistol unfireable, pushing it back up gives you Condition 2.

The double action trigger pull was buttery smooth. I was impressed. Then I pulled the hammer back, and squeezed the trigger.

I was no longer impressed.

Now, I haven't done a lot of handgun shooting. My experience has been limited to a 1911, actually (although I've handled all different types in gun stores). So tell me if I'm off base on this.

Why don't any of these slick new DA/SA autos have decent single action triggers? When I pull back the hammer, I expect the trigger to be crisp, like a good revolver, especially if their asking for six to eight hundred dollars for the pistol. But most SA trigger pulls aren't crisp; they're mushy. Not nearly as bad as, say, my Winchester 94, which for some unGodly reason, has spring-loaded slack in the trigger, but they're mushy, and it bugs me.

Am I asking too much? If they can make smooth DA trigger pulls, and crisp SA trigger pulls in a revolver, can't they do it in an autoloader too?

Am I asking too much? If they can make smooth DA trigger pulls, and crisp SA trigger pulls in a revolver, can't they do it in an autoloader too?

The Sig 210 has a pretty crisp SA trigger......then again they also has a sky high MSRP (1800-4500$).

I think autoloader makers could produce better triggers, but they chose not to for a reason I have yet to understand. BTW, although not perfect, my CZs came out of the box with a pretty decent SA trigger.

$600-$800 for a Beretta 92? Your dealer is ripping you off. The SA trigger on my 92 Inox has a nice clean break, but is somewhat mushy during the takeup of the slack.

You should see the Glock, you try firing it single action, you have to squeeze and squeeze and squeeze...alright enough. Try the CZ75. Played with a few at the gun store, the trigger was so nice. The fit and finish was excellent. But it just looked too weird. The Ruger P94, and Beretta Brigadier just looked a lot nicer:) If you can get over the weird looks, and want a good, clean, well made military 9mm, for $100.00-$200.00 less than the Beretta, then go for it.

The best SIG trigger I had on a stock P-22x handgun is the one from my
service SIG P-220 in 9mm. It cost me near 150 Swiss Francs to get my
226 trigger so good.

Yet my military sidearm is still more precise.

I handled a Sig 226 .40 cal. OOH, did that have a nice trigger on it. Too bad they all can't be like that.

The Sig Sauer 226 (while an excellent pistol) pales in comparison to the Sig 210. The Sig 210 is a single action only pistol in 9mm that is nearly perfect out of the box. If memory serves (it usually doesn't), the parts are handmade. The Sig Sauer P226 retails for about $800. The Sig 210 sells for $1800 plus (some 210 versions are over $4500)!

I handled a Sig 226 .40 cal. OOH, did that have a nice trigger on it. Too bad they all can't be like that

Try a P229, the trigger (both DA and SA) on my 226 feels like a CAT-9 compared to the 229. Although my stock 229 has some take up, the glass rod break is crisper than my Kimber 1911!

BTW, you don't know how bad a trigger can be until you've shot a CAT-9!

Nightcrawler wrote:
"Now, I haven't done a lot of handgun shooting. My experience has been limited to a 1911, actually"

That's your problem. You shot the best first. Now you're spoiled! A good 1911 trigger is very hard to top!

both my berettas (92FS and 92G Elite) have very good DA and SA triggers. however the SA trigger pull on DA/SA pistols is very different than that of a SA pistol. the SA trigger pull in guns like berettas, Sigs and HKs all have a fair amount of takeup and then the break. the trigger pull in SA is still substancially longer than the SA pull of a 1911. why this is i have no idea but that's how all DA pistols i've ever fired are. also most DA pistols, berettas included, have longer trigger resets than 1911s and glocks which i don't like. i still don't feel the trigger pull is bad on berettas just i would never expect it to be even close to that of a good 1911.

The "ideal" (impossible) trigger breaks like glass and doesn't move (so J.C. tells me :) ) The 1911 trigger can approach this - its trigger can move straight back. Can a DA/SA ever approach what a SA only (particularly 1911) can? The trigger is compromised to swing around a pivot, there are two trigger pulls, the trigger is designed to do 2 jobs - even cocked the trigger wasn't purpose made for only a single-action pull. Revolver single-action you say? They tend to be dangerously light and safetyless.

Other than scaring the bejeesus out of folk without apparent cause, is there any other reason to not just go SA only?

I see a lot of handy little pistols being made, and they're all double-action (many lesser versions have VERY lousy double-action pulls) - wish there were more single-action pistols, particularly a tiny slim 9mm (yeah, I guess Colt Mustang comes close).

The Ironic Thing...

...is the "quality" 1911 I've fired was a <$400 Charles Daly model, which gave me feeding problems. Sure had a nice trigger on it, though. Heh. I'm never going to a SA/DA or a DAO pistol, I don't think. I've been made into a Single Action Man (tm). IF I were going to buy a 9mm (that's a pretty big if), I'd get a hi-power, or a Para Ordnance. If I wanted a .40, I'd get a Hi-Power or a Para Ordnance. If I wanted a .45, which I do, well, John Moses Browning can look down on me and smile. :)

Back