Alvin York State Park, Pall Mall, TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamaranger

I was able to visit the Alvin York site in north central TN the other week. Cpl York, of course was U.S Army a Medal of Honor winner in WWI, with a display of soldiering and marksmanship (and a movie in later years) that drew international acclaim and attention. Your remained humble regards his actions, and attempted to better his community after the war, but encountered many obstacles and hardships in his personal ventures. I regret to report that his accomplishments, and the site that commemorates his life, at least as it appeared by my visit to the park, go largely unremembered and ignored.

In the latter part of WWI, Cpl York, after wrestling with his Christian faith as a potential objector, and his duty to country and to fight evil, shipped to France and became involved in a fight that took 9 lives of his 16 man patrol/flanking operation. York then flanked and engaged multiple enemy positions, with a 5 shot bolt rifle (make/model debated) and a Colt 1911. Those members of his group that survived the initial MG volleys that raked his unit did what they could in support, but York's premier role is undeniable. In the end, there were 28 enemy dead, 35 Heavy MG's (many abandoned by the fleeing crews, and 132 prisoners (not a typo)!!!!!

Today, the TN state park (created in 1967) at his home and birthplace is unremarkable except for its lack of visitation and need for modernization. The state run Visitors Center is tiny with few displays or creative insight. The driving tour had limited signs, no public maps, and was difficult to follow. The small school that he founded and helped build with earnings from the 1940 "SgT York" movies is dilapidated, overgrown and in near collapse. The cemetery that contains his gravesite ( and that of his son, a LEO killed in the line of duty in 1972) was in need of tending (likely in private hands). The field that held the shooting matches of his early days is an overgrown weed patch with no tending, signs, or indication of what occurred there. The staff was pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable enough, but it was clear they were working from behind the power and financial curve.

Though I'd read of of Yorks humble traits, and did not expect a grand home or grounds, I was disappointed by overall lack of clarity and the need for upkeep. I encourage all interested to endeavor to visit this site in north central TN (it is not easily reached....1.5 hrs on rural routes from I-40) and leave a donation. Additionally, write legislators and administrators and ask them to breath new life into the York Site.

This brave American, his faith, life, accomplishments in battle, and his role in his community later, need remembering.

Thank you for your post. That is sad to hear that the park is so run down. I will visit next time I'm out that way. A true American hero all but forgotten. It's funny I've mentioned him to people in conversation while on duty and you would be surprised at how many MILITARY troops have no idea who he was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It sounds well worth visiting, and what a shame that the place isn't better maintained.

That said, I'm going to close this as not really gun-related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back