Aluminum Bedding block with Glass bedding ???

Gordon

Inactive
Does it do any good to do a glass bedding job on a rifle that already has a HS precision stock which has the Aluminum v-block bedding?

I ask this for the following reason.
I have an older Remington Model 700 Varmit rifle in .243 caliber which I glass bedded shortly after I bought it. Even after glass bedding the rifle still strings vertically about 1 1/2" if I fire a 10 shot string without letting the barrel cool between shots. The group is normally a diagonal string going from lower right to upper left and about 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" tall.
I installed the action on my HS Precision stock and fired some test groups. They all came out more or less round, but were slightly over 1".
Any suggestions?

A thin coat of bedding will never hurt. You must sand or bead blast the aluminum or it will not stick.

When you finished make sure you put the stock screws at 65 INCH pound to prevent warping the action.

I found on my Remington PSS that the slot for the recoil lug was too big and left room for the action to move under recoil. That is were I bedded mine.

Check out Mike Wilson's article on the Remington Tactical Weapon System in this month's issue of Tactical Shooter. On page 12, he briefly mentions how he fiddled with the aluminum bedding block; with the results being a bigger group.

A Remington Engineer told me that the vital part of the stock is where the back portion (the side closer to your eyeball & trigger finger) bears against the stock. That is where recoil is absorbed. He stated that everything in the front portion wasn't critical.
Just thought I'd share this stuff with you.

Back