Aluminum Alloy Frames (debate)

I don't know much about the properties of metals, but I want opinions from those who do know more than me (you guys). Is it true that most alluminum alloy frames have a life of 10,000 rounds? I keep hearing this rumor but have no way to check it out for accuracy.

Also, I am interested in opinions on the durability of the following gun frames:

Stainless Steel
Carbon Steel
Polymer
Aluminum alloy

From what I read, the polymer and steel frames are the most durable, but I would appreciate other opinions as well.....

Hi Quantum-i have no answer, but have wondered the same thing beings that so many manufacturers describe their frames as a high tensile alloy.Hopefully we'll both get an answer. :)

I don't know about all manufacturers, but Beretta makes their frames from forgings. This is the strongest, most durable way to go for aluminum frames. Forgings are homogenous in structure (from a metallurgical standpoint).
Whether they'll outlast a steel or polymer frame...I don't know. But most aircraft structural components (except in high heat applications) are aluminum forgings.
Frames machined from a billet should be almost as strong. Those machined from castings would be the weakest, relatively speaking.

Whether they'll outlast a steel or polymer frame...I don't know. But most aircraft structural components (except in high heat applications) are aluminum forgings.
Frames machined from a billet should be almost as strong. Those machined from castings would be the weakest, relatively speaking.

Could someone please elaborate the difference between forging, billet, and casting machining?

Oh, and would one of the moderators please move this to the semi-auto forum where it was intended to be......

I have a Colt Light Weight Commander .45ACP which I have shot regularly for many years. It has fired over 20,000 rounds and is still going strong.

Had a M6906 for 10 years and shot it most every weekend; was still fine when I traded it.

From what I have heard and read Ruger has tested a pistol with over 20,000+p rounds with no failure. I guess it all depends on what "blend" you use for your alloy.

Could someone please elaborate the difference between forging, billet, and casting machining?

Forging: The alloyed material is "hammered" into a rough shape (approximately of the final product) somewhat larger then the final product to allow machining to size. The "hammering" (seen this in the movies, haven't you?)results in a homogenous grain structure through out the forging. This is what gives it it's strength.

Billet: The alloy goes through a series of rollers and is formed into a flat, roughly rectangular shape. The rolling results in a unidirectional grain structure but can delaminate if not properly done.

Casting: The alloy is poured into a mold (shaped roughly like the final product) and allowed to cool. This is the cheapest method, but bubbles, cracks and voids can occur as the material shinks during cooling. There is no grain structure to speak of.

As wood has a grain structure and is stronger across the grain rather then with the grain, so does an alloy.

As to the type of alloy used in gun frames... That depends upon strength required, costing and other variables. Silicon is frequently used in aluminum alloys to give it toughness. But silicon can result in brittleness.

I'm no metallurgist (work in Quality Assurance), so this is a very simplified explanation.

By the way, I once interviewed for a job at Beretta (in Accoteek, MD) and toured their facility.
No, I didn't get the job (wife didn't care for the area...).

Back